223 handloading equipment wanted

n8ess

I want to start handloading my Tikka 223, could anyone offer advice on the best set-up, also is there anyone out there who could spare a few hours to show me the basics of handloading, I am based in Kent and would be prepared to travel. I will also be in Derby next weekend if anyone lives around that area.

Thanks

Neil

hi their n8ess ,

started my reloading experience back this last winter reloading for my 223 as well first thing you really want is to keep all your brass . i started with a rcbs rock chucker supreme kit which has all the basics in it to allow you to start reloading , all you need on top of that is some powder primers bullet tips and a set of dies . would say to start out with dont try and get to techinical just go with a standard set of dies, personally i use redding dies and they work just fine. forget neck sizing and compertion seating die until you are well versed in loading standard loads . the only add on i would say you really need is a good quality verner gauge and a bullet comparator kit to allow seating depth to be measured to the bullet olgive a extra loading block to allow processed cases to move on to the next step all the time, a stand for your powder thrower and a powder baffle for it as this make powder charges a lot more accurate . also a bullet puller is a useful bit of kit to pull apart any mistakes and allow you to reuse the bits . then you want a nice clear space with a hefty bench to mount everything to .

one word of warning though is that it may become very addictive and if you have a partner groveling may need to be practised regulary as you will end up spending long periods of time load testing to find the perfect load for your gun . from my experience use bench rest primers as they give better groups for the same load build and if you have other calibers that you may move on to try to find a powder for all as you wont get them mixed up . personally use hodgons varget powder and can get bullet though bullet hole accuracy .

also when load developing only change one thing at a time then you can see whats happening and record everything you do so you dont spend hours duplicateing everything always start low and work up to maxium but stop if you get pressure signs your perfect load node may be at the bottom end of a powder range weather the bullet is doing 3200 fps or 2800fps dead is still dead . also i shot five round groups for load development but try to keep your barrel temp cold as you need to find a load that will give cold clean barrel accuracy i tend to shoot one walk up and mark it on the target then take the second shot walk up and mark ect this a least give an element of consistency over the group and shot stringing shouldnt be to marked and as each one is marked you can see what happens in the group. also clean your barrel between groups so that first shot is always under as near the same conditions every time .

also dont touch your scopes zero as you are looking for five holes in as small a area as possible , it will move around as powder charge increases the beauty of marking each bullet is you may get two or three down the same hole and then you can dismiss flyers when you get to the smallest group possible the next stage is to reload the same load and see if it still groups the same if it does then reload again and re zero your scope and repeat if it does you found the magic spot for that bullet case powder and primer combo

you can spend hours on reloading to the ninth degree but you should get better groups and become more confident in the accuracy of your rifle thus if you miss then you no it wasnt the rifle or the bullets fault but yours, you tend to become a better shooter as you practise more doing all the load development have fun and if you need any advise or help ask as i am sure some one can help .

Good advice GF.

I would add to get yourself a reloading data book, read the front, they got lots of advice and then FOLLOW that advice with respect to load development.

Once had a mate who tried to tell me that for a given weight of powder I got a certain speed of bullet that if I wanted x speed he divided the grains into the speed to give a grain to speed ratio so to get x speed just add another x grains.

Suffice to say, if I had followed that advice I would not be typing this advice to you!!

Enjoy, but give it the respect it deserves and you'll be fine. If your ever Wilstshire way I can show you.

How often are you in Derby? I live not to far from Derby and would be happy to help you. Regrettably, next weekend will find me shooting roebucks in Aberdeenshire, so I wont be at home. However, if you are up this way again, I will be pleased to help you. I have a spare set of RCBS .223 dies.

David.

hi n8ess,

the rock chucker supreme master kit has every thing you need to start thats what i brought first . then you want to add the bits mentioned in my first reply to make life easier for your self . also dont forget the shell holders

i spent around £500 pounds all in to set my self up to start inc powder dies ect for 200 rounds . if you are travelling up to derby you could do no worst than call in and see the lads at norman clarks at rugby on the way and they would be more than happy to sort you out phone number is 01788579651

also the rockchucker kit has a speer reloading manual in it with step by step instructions plus data tables ect .

hope this helps

Archived