Which brand of these 2 cheap airgun scopes is the better?

chaz

Hi folks.

I'm after some constructive advice on buying a cheap and cheerful scope. Yes, "you get what you pay for", but I'm not expecting half moa at 100 yards... It's just for air rifle use around barns. And out to around 40 yards. But obviously accurate and consistent enough, to provide clean kills. (If I do my bit)

I don't want to spend more than £60 for a used or new model.

I've found a Nikko Stirling Mount Master 4-16x50 Adjustable Objective, and Illuminated Mil Dot Ret Scope for £60. But I have no knowledge of this make or model of scope. Are they any good? Does anyone have any knowledge or use of them??

I'm kind of thinking I should stick to what I know with "cheap" scopes. Which is the Hawke mid range, like what I already have on my .22lr. This being a used Hawke Panorama EV 3-9X50 AO IR EV. Which is a great bit of kit when it comes to fit for purpose, and has only ever lost zero once in 3 years after I knocked it.

So as asked, some constructive advice for the £60 mark would be great.

Cheers in advice.

Chaz.

Chaz, the NS Mountmaster range of scopes are excellent value for money. They will never be a Bausch and Lomb, but for airgun use they are fine. If you buy one, you won't be disappointed. If you're not sure, and you're not able to see one 'in the flesh', then go for the Hawke, but the Mountmaster is springer-proof with reasonably clear glass.

Chaz, the NS Mountmaster range of scopes are excellent value for money. They will never be a Bausch and Lomb, but for airgun use they are fine. If you buy one, you won't be disappointed. If you're not sure, and you're not able to see one 'in the flesh', then go for the Hawke, but the Mountmaster is springer-proof with reasonably clear glass.

Cheers Les. To be honest I've never even heard of them. Best I get on the Web! Thanks.

Chaz.

Just realised. NS being Nikko Stirling. They can't be too bad if they're springer proof! I did find one of those, all in for £65 new at Uttings. The spec seemed good. Cheers.

Anyone else used a Nikko Stirling Mount Master? Your thoughts??

Whilst everyone has the own opinion, and each to their own...

I have found the mount master pretty poor.. It's milky, and very hard to get any decent clarity.

The newer gen of Hawke scopes I have found to be very good..

Or a nikko Gameking if you can get one of them..

I have messed around with plenty of different makes using them for lightweight sport rifle at 25yards.. I like the Mtc mamba (albeit a little pricey) bushnell banners (the old phillapean ones) but struggle to find anything to beat the gamekings on that budget..

Have a look at optics warehouse in Paignton (online) they have some cracking deals on a load of scopes and are lovely people.

Whilst everyone has the own opinion, and each to their own...

I have found the mount master pretty poor.. It's milky, and very hard to get any decent clarity.

The newer gen of Hawke scopes I have found to be very good..

Or a nikko Gameking if you can get one of them..

I have messed around with plenty of different makes using them for lightweight sport rifle at 25yards.. I like the Mtc mamba (albeit a little pricey) bushnell banners (the old phillapean ones) but struggle to find anything to beat the gamekings on that budget..

Have a look at optics warehouse in Paignton (online) they have some cracking deals on a load of scopes and are lovely people.

Yea, I appreciate it's, "each to their own", but all recommendations are worth a look.

Cheers Jiminic

Archived