Factory ammo for a Sako TRG 0.308?

I've recently acquired a TRG and we have an upcoming club range day at 600 yds. I won't be able to start reloading for this calibre for at least a few months so need to get some factory ammo.

Can someone please advise on what would be a suitable choice? This will be my first time buying ammo in this calibre so I have no idea of what is available. Shot many thousands of 7.62 though a SLR in the past and have shot several thousand .223 in the last year.

Use can be summarised as non-competition, 600 yds, Bisley, 26" Sako TRG in 0.308. Rifle has had approx 1000 rounds though it in the past.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :)

There have been reasonably positive reports on GGG brand ammo-available at Bisley-that should fit your bill,meanwhile-the brass is reloadable .

No doubt othere will have shooting experience of what you can probably get hold of at a fair price.

gbal

Thanks both. GGG goes well though my AR 0.223 but as the volumes will be much lower in the Sako, I could spend a little more. But don't of course need match accuracy.

I'd expect GGG 7.62 to be about £20/100 more than the GGG 223,though obviously check-there may even be 'match-ish' grade now as well (?) but I don't do know Bisley details.

gbal

Another one worth a shot (ha, ha) is HPS TargetMaster. It's more expensive than GGG and about the same as RWS, and uses Lapua brass.

TBH, I think you'll find the TRG will shoot anything really well. The only ammo my rifle didn't like was my own reloads with any combination of Elcho 17 (RS60). Everything else was a dream.

A few thoughts as a TRG owner - was at Bisley yesterday testing some hand-loads in the TRG22, mercifully Short Siberia was free for a change so I enjoyed the monsoon conditions from a covered firing point!

1, Fultons have some supposed match ammo that was not too expensive (sub £1 a round) and worked OK in my TRG - not as good as hand loads but will keep you going.

2, Tried the GGG in my .223 Patriot Ordnance AR type 'Revolt' and it was good - My TRG likes both 155 and 168 Lapua scenarios but not sure if or how that extrapolates to the bullet heads used by GGG - the match 168 mentioned by Breacher sound good

- maybe call ahead to Bisley and check availability so you don't rock up and be disappointed

3, Brillo mentions the HPS with Lapua brass - if you can get it I would go this route, at that distance match ammo allows you to remove the ammo quality factor and then you keep the brass for reloading when you start

Archived