50gr Sierra 1330 vs V-Max out of a 222

phillips321

Hi guys,

So i've been using hornady 50grain v-max with 22.5grains of N133 since I got my 222. However the other day at a gun shop i noticed they were selling Sierra SPT 50grain bullets for £14.50 per pack of 100. This is a massive cost saving over the Hornady V-Max 50grains which I have been paying £24.50 per pack of 100.

As such I decided I'd give them a go to see if the accuracy is good enough for me (I'm not a target shooter but a hunter).

I've tried the following power weights in N133 today and here's the results for me:

22.0 Grains of N133 20160605_Sierra50gr_1330_pg1.jpg

22.2 Grains of N133 (i pulled the one shot) 20160605_Sierra50gr_1330_pg1_1.jpg
22.4 Grains of N133 20160605_Sierra50gr_1330_pg1_2.jpg
22.6 Grains of N133 20160605_Sierra50gr_1330_pg2.jpg
22.8 Grains of N133 20160605_Sierra50gr_1330_pg2_1.jpg
Here's what i then shot using Hornady V-max 50grain
22.5 Grains of N133 20160605_Sierra50gr_1330_pg2_2.jpg
As I'm foxing and not target shooting I'm thinking that these bullets are suitable for me, especially when the massive cost saving is included.
Based on the results I'm thinking 22.6 grains is where i should now measure from?
Many thanks in advance for any advice

I'd want to check out some more of the cheap bullet 22.6 load-the one shot well out of group would be a concern ,if repeated....

And check actual terminal performance of the cheaper bullets on your quarry-they should be fine,but cost is no excuse at all when shooting sentient targets (and it's only 10 per fox anyhow.....).

You may not have a particulary accurate 222,but 1/2 inch consistent grouping is adequate under field conditions.

gbal

Hi thanks for the reply. I think the guns pretty accurate, it's more accurate than me anyway. I'd actually like to see a seasoned shooter behind it have a go to see what it's capable of, anyone near to Gloucester that is a proven shooter want to have a go?

I'm pretty sure if you put a pricey and accurate gun in my hands the groups would be as they are above as it's down to my shooting ability. (I've never had any target training or been a member of a club)

OK,the main point is as before: check some more (min 2x5 shot groups) of the new bullet Sierra SPT 50g,with 22.6 g powder,and if OK check terminal performance-as said,a consistent 1/2 inch will do nicely under field conditions-but not if there are regular fliers ( =something needs fixed).

g

The 22.2 looks to be a good group. You say you pulled one of the shots, that being the case I'd be repeating that group too with several 5 shot groups in still conditions using the rest method (ie quad sticks or bipod) that you use for foxing. I have a chrony here and live close to you if you'd like to have them put through it to see where you're at MV-wise. I use both the SPs and V-max in 223 and the Vmax give more rapid expansion. Accuracy for both seems to be good (ragged one hole groups). I also use N133 which seems well suited to 223.

A lot of fox have been effectively shot with SP bullets,Neil.

In the days before backward stalking out to 300 yards had to be done to see these new fangled effects (tricky at night),they were the only suitable design available :-)

g

• 2 weeks later...

My Tikka T3 1:8" .223 loves the #1330's. I used to be a Nosler snob, preferring these over anything else and paying a premium for it too. With the passing away of a great friend, I acquired his Sierra bullets and haven't looked back since.

I've had to order some more #1330's being high velocity and not ripping apart in my 1:8 barrel. My RFD has boxes of the #1340's but the literature states these are medium velocity and not for fast twists. The pricing is cheaper than the 52 grain Amax, and just as accurate. Admittedly I've only shot out to just under 300 metres, but that's been sniping rabbits and does the job.

Archived