Quick load request for 6.5x55 swede.

Dac9976

Hi all

Any chance some one can help me out with Quickload?

I've got 140gr Amax and 140gr Berger hunting VLDs, with vit N165 in a 24" barrel.

Cheers

Danny.

Dac9976, I use n165 46grs but I use fed 215 magnum primers,i have been up to 49grs but the group opened up,no pressure signs in my rifle work up your load .I use magnum primers because with standard primers the cases got sooty.only use amax 140,never used berger .hope this helps.

What are you trying to find out? A load, or the Min - Max range of loads? ~Andrew

Hi Andrew

Looking for min-max load please.

Cheers

Danny.

Dac9976, I use n165 46grs but I use fed 215 magnum primers,i have been up to 49grs but the group opened up,no pressure signs in my rifle work up your load .I use magnum primers because with standard primers the cases got sooty.only use amax 140,never used berger .hope this helps.

Hi banus.

Thanks for the info. What MV are you getting?

Cheers

Danny.

From Hornady: 37.5 min, 45 Max for 2500 fps.

Frankly, I would use Vhit's data for the 139, startin loads, and work up from there. Hornady is very conservative these days.~Andrew

Hi Andrew.

I have several loading manuals that I always check before loading. I do think they are all conservative in the data given.

Quickload always seems to give realistic information, hence the request .

I would buy Quickload myself but I am totally computer illiterate.....iPad is as good as it gets lol.

Cheers

Danny.

Danny, 'conservative' usually means 'does not exceed' max SAAMI pressures....

Remember there is often deference to early (military) 6.5x55 Swedes,still in use,which are not up to current "Skan" strengths.

"realistic" is a more weasel word-often closer to 'maybe achievable with increased pressures'... ie some have done it,but......

You do seem tobe are following QuickLOAD's own advice i.e. to be mainly guided by powder manufacturers tables rather than QL unchecked (see the QL statement in post 6 by HTLEADFARMER on the "Cheeky QL question ' thread ,currently running here.

In a nutshell,there are many parameters and assumptions in QL that are often not met by 'real' shooters,who do not/cannot input exactly matching data-at best,QL is a guide-best defer to powder charts,as QL recommends.

gbal

I hear what your saying gbal.....just trying to gain as much information as possible before I start loading for a new barrel.

I consider myself a safe home loader mate, I don't take risks.

Cheers

Danny.

That's as it should be ,Danny- I find V165 pretty good in an Fclass style 6.5X55 Ackley Improved,with 140g bullets (Berger Hybrids probably best,but Hornady/Sierra are fine too).

g

That's as it should be ,Danny- I find V165 pretty good in an Fclass style 6.5X55 Ackley Improved,with 140g bullets (Berger Hybrids probably best,but Hornady/Sierra are fine too).

g

I've got a new 6.5x55 Blaser match barrel I'm picking up tomorrow, not sure if it's F class standard but it'll do for me :)

Going to be using Berger hunting VLDs for now as I've got 200.

Would use Amax but not sure how much longer they will be available for as I was told they have been discontinued.

Cheers

Danny.

• 3 weeks later...

Been doing a fair bit of load development with the VLDs and Amax.

Amax was producing some nice groups with 45.5gr of vit n165 with a MV of 2469 fps.

Got some ELDs this week as Amax 140s are now discontinued. Did a few tester rounds to see what they are like.

Seated them 20 thou back, the same as the Amax.......wow they produce some great groups the best with 45.8 gr of vit n165.

Would post pics but I'm useless lol.

Cheers

Danny.

Archived