Going to america

tikkat3rob

Hi guys im going to america in june and im wondering if i can buy and bring back ammunition and or bullets etc

As long as i dont go over my fac allowance and tell my airline i should be ok right ??

what about import duty? im not too hot on this subject so pretty much in the dark as to how to go about and what costs ill face

thanks rob

in short No, they are ITAR restricted.

you may get away with it if the airline/TSA don't know what they are doing but is it really worth it as if caught at best they will confiscate it all, you may miss your flight and may be fined or worse

Shops shouldn't even sell you the Ammo

Apart from ITAR which requires export licences for most things firearms or ammunition related these days, even brass, ammunition carriage on flights is heavily controlled. Some airlines won't carry it, some such as BA put a weight limit on (equivalent to around 150 308 Win), specify secure packaging and it must go in hold baggage and be specially checked in. BA used to charge £75 irrespective of quantity within its weight limit and it has to be pre-arranged. Carrying powders or primers on a flight is a jail time job!

Tools and things like dies are OK airline / export wise, so if you fancy a cheap RCBS Rockchucker press you're alright (baggage weight allowance aside :) ). You should declare them on arrival at the UK and pay VAT like any other purchases whose value is over some figure or other.

Duty payable on good over £390, I managed to bring back a Rockchucker Supreme, Frankford Arsenal case prep centre and their huge SS pin rotary tumbler plus a load of other reloading/shooting goodies last trip. Luckily my son does most of the carrying for me (which is why I take him with me!).

Trip record is 118Kg, 4 x hold luggage bags and a couple of very over stuffed backpacks :D

I regularly go to the states and nearly always bring back Amax heads, 52's 75's, 80's 105's and 168's. A fraction of UK suppliers prices, if not half price.

Right or wrong I've never had a problem, and im going back to Florida in December ;)

I think loaded ammunition is defiantly a NO NO!

Your choice, your risk, no matter how small. Just remember that if caught, it's not a city or state offence or a civil one, but a Federal criminal one. If you travel regularly to the US, do you wish to be on the register of people the Feds won't allow back into the country?

Your choice, your risk, no matter how small. Just remember that if caught, it's not a city or state offence or a civil one, but a Federal criminal one. If you travel regularly to the US, do you wish to be on the register of people the Feds won't allow back into the country?

This and some.

I was 'caught' leaving the US with brass and bullets, they were confiscated. I was fined but luckily they waved the allowable storage fee charges.

For about a 18 months after I was taken to one side on each entry into the US and questioned, bags searched etc.

Made them the most expensive brass and bullets of all time. :(

As I need to go to the US the potential for being banned is not worth breaking the law for.

Terry

Archived