.50 BMG vrs .338 Lap Mag reloading costs

TACDAVE

Afternoon All

Been fortunate enough to become a new member of the .50 cal association. Went on my first range day which I enjoyed greatly. Watching the established members shooting .50s out to 2400 yards plus was something else.

Currently my largest caliber is .300 win mag and I have had great success with it to 1300 yards.

Now I have opportunity to shoot extreme distance looking for a larger calibre - contemplating putting in for a .338 lap mag on my FAC renewal.

My question is

What would be the price comparison between reloading a .338 and .50 cal - on a round which could be used for general use on an open field range up to 2400 yards. Appreciate the .50 costs more but on average how much more per round?

Any information would be greatly received.

Ta Dave

The 50 is about twice the price!

So is the reloading gear, the 338 on the other hand can be loaded on normal press's etc,

^_^

The 50 is about twice the price!

So is the reloading gear, the 338 on the other hand can be loaded on normal press's etc,

^_^

That`s a good point....

I will find out, a mate has both,

guessing I would think the 338 lap mag £1.50 per shot and the 50 cal £3.00 plus

if you used 750gr amaxs they're probaly £3 just for the bullet

Hannams are listing 750g Amax at £3.62 per bullet! Best take out a second mortgage!

Sportsman concentre they are priced at £56.00 for 20, about £2.80 each

most seem to use pulled tracers of several desciptions, some burn at about 3 seconds and some 5 seconds plus, some fall short of the target when they dont burn, its great being able to watch the bullet leave the muzzle and watch it all the way to the target, there are quite something to watch, mind you the blast is bloody awful.its definately a fun gun but expensive to run, i saw some shooters saturday who probaly did 100 rounds.

After the cost of the brass, your biggest expense will be projectiles.

As stated Amax come in in around the £2.50-£3.00 mark each.

Turned solids are about £2.00. (We have express permission to use these on the LFFTAS)

Powder is about £1.60 per reload

Primers are around the £30/hundred mark.

Brass life varies, but if you anneal and look after your brass we get 40-50 reloads out of it.

Nobody who is serious about their shooting uses tracer for anything but fun, they are too inconsistent.

I run Hornady press and die sets for my 50s and they also take all my other calibre dies with the use of the quick release collet.

Edgar Brothers bring in all things 50cal, especially useful is the 8lb tubs of US869 powder.

They also bring in the Hornady 750 Amax as loaded rounds, RRP is around £70/10.

A good show by all some members were hitting small targets out to 1500 yards with

.243's .260's and 7mm08's

Well mike in consistant or not 2 others shooting there 50s seen it to.good thing with the tracers the are great to follow.that barret 99 withe the extra ballast weighing in at 38lbs as certainly help it.approx 2700 inch elevation with a 750gr amax.approx 73yds lol.i think the tracers are 660gr.there us a good video on youtube showing you what the blast is like.video is call wife shooting barret m99 priceless

Archived