From plain jane to Tac driving beauty ( I hope )

Hi Guys.. Been after a lam stock for my .308 Sako 75 for awhile now but funds wouldn't stretch to something exotic..

17 REM ( Marv ) comes to the rescue with a used Sako lam stock that's been pillar bedded already. The nice man sold it to me and it arrived this morning.

I was warned that a little too much meat had been taken from the stock channel in front of the action but on inspection, i knew i could fix that without it ruining the aesthetics.

I was expecting just 2 steel or alloy pillars where the action screws went and that was that. I was gobsmacked to find the entire bed had been layered with what looks like a Devcon type material. I'm sure Marv will enlighten us.. ;)

I lowered the action into the stock... Uh oh.. It don't fit.. The original action must have been a tad slimmer than mine i presumed. Out came the dremmel and 30 mins later i have a press fit. The rear pillar was fitted at a funny angle so a bit of jiggery pokery was required to fit the trigger plate and tighten the action down.

As the action now sits about 1.5 mm higher than it did in the original stock due to the bedding, the action screws don't bite as deep as i hoped they would. They tighten down ok but i'm not sure how they will cope with the stress of firing. If anyone knows where i can get longer screws, i'd appreciate it..

So there we have it.. Plain jane to a raving beauty.. I just hope when i shoot her at the end of August the pillars & bedding will improve an already very accurate rifle..

DSCF0364.jpg

The new stock....

DSCF0362.jpg

;)

sak2.jpg

The old trusty walnut stock..

Dig it out, and re bed it buddy, it wont shoot worth a that which promotes growth and vigour as it is.The stock is lovely, and i,m sure you know deep down, it deserves better.bedding suits the rifle action it was moulded off, and no other.

Dig it out, and re bed it buddy, it wont shoot worth a that which promotes growth and vigour as it is.The stock is lovely, and i,m sure you know deep down, it deserves better.bedding suits the rifle action it was moulded off, and no other.

I wouldn't know where to start Dave... If i farm it out to a gunny, it's gonna be expensive i fear.. Guess i'll have to wait and see..

Grant..

+1 on what Baldie says.

Dig out 1/8th inch of the old bedding with Dremel and skim bed it.

If the action sits 1.5mm higher than normaly this is nothing to have any concerns about, it is maybe 1/2 turn of a thread.

If you are not confident to do it yourself, take it to the CLA, drop it (complete rifle) with Kaleiderscope - he will get it to me and i'll sort it for you.

(Hope all understand I am not advertising services here, just helping out a board member)

+1 on what Baldie says.

Dig out 1/8th inch of the old bedding with Dremel and skim bed it.

If the action sits 1.5mm higher than normaly this is nothing to have any concerns about, it is maybe 1/2 turn of a thread.

If you are not confident to do it yourself, take it to the CLA, drop it (complete rifle) with Kaleiderscope - he will get it to me and i'll sort it for you.

(Hope all understand I am not advertising services here, just helping out a board member)

That is a very kind offer there!!!

Ronin. Thanks very much for that offer. Unfortunately i cant make the CLA.

I can see the sense in what you guys are telling me and i'll def have it sorted before i take it to the range. :lol:

Grant

no problem, if the situation changes, the offer still stands, it is a relatively simple and non time consuming fix - providing you know what your'e doing.

I think at the last count I have done 6 Sako's and they all turned out nice :lol:

When you are ready to rectify the problem if you need a step by step guide, PM me and i'll walk you through it.

The compound looks like Devcon plastic putty (steel), my advice would be get the same product as it was orginally bedded in then there is no worries of reaction (if your skimming)

A couple of hours work plu overnight curing and it will be great for your use :lol:

Archived