A late night.

6mmBR

Well what a busy day it was yesterday. I drove up to Litts in the morning to pick up a gun from the administrators and then later the plan was down Andy's for another crack at the foxes.

Well we clocked up a few miles yesterday and cartainly what seemed an age behind the wheel.

I met Andy at 9pm, we had arranged to go out with Mark a keeper on the shoot we were on last weekend.

The plan being to mop up a few foxes we saw last week and to try out a few more areas where they had now cut the silage. Marks birds are arriving next week so he was keen for us to sort some out around the pens.

We went back to the one area where I had 4 cubs and a barren vixen last week in hope of getting the vixen. She had given us the slip last week so it was important to try and get hee.

Andy lamped around the field and we saw a flash of eyes briefly it was her. She was not hanging around for any one. I tracked her in the scope as she slinked up the edge of the field, Andy trying a miriad of noises to get her to stop and look and present the shot. Eventually a bark from Andy pulled her up long enough for a shot, I had tracked her in the reticule and as soon as she stopped I pulled the trigger, an 87 Vmax brought things to an end. Mark was well chuffed, a good start to the evening.

We moved further on around this block of land and I mopped up another cub which Andy called in.

So things were going well 2 in the bag and we were only an hour in. The next port of call was a field they had just cut for silage, Andy shot 2 foxes in the field the night they cut and new there were more there.

We drove into the field, nothing vissible. Mark parked up the pick up and Andy started to call.

A pair of eyes appeared in the corner of the field, Andy sqeaked again and in it came.

Andy said ready, I acknowledge a single bark it stopped I fired number 3 in the bag.

This was a funy one as the noise of the bullet striking the fox was louder than the report from the T8.

The 6 BR does moderate very well but that was quiet.

The final port of call this evening was back to the main pen in the shoot to try and get a fow Mark had seen early in the morning and couldn't get a shot at.

Right behind the wood with the pen in was a potatoe field, the farmer having burnt the tops of the plants off, leaving a situation of deep furrows with tangled mass of dead foliage on top.

We drove down the field and we saw a pair of eyes, I looked through the scope but the shot was not safe. Around the field we went to try a different angle, we got around and the fox dissapeared over the brow. This bugger was giving us the run around.

Into the field we went, we could see glints of the eye but could not make out the fox as it was lying in the furrow with the burnt off vegetation covering it. We kept driving around altering the angle trying to get a clear shot.

Finnally I could see a head above the row, at 80 yards I popped the dot of the NP-2DD on the head and squeezed the trigger. Down it went, Mark fetched it back and it was a mature vixen , a good one to get out the way.

With number 4 in the bag and it being 1.30 am we called it a night.

Mark was pleased with a good nights work, Andy and I having accounted for 13 foxes in a week on his shoot.

DSCF0753.jpg

When the corn is cut now Mark wants us down again to try and have another go.

Thanks guys for a great night out, I got home a bit earlier than last week.......3am :P

Hopefully fishing in the week :)

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

Glad to see your eye is in and that the Toyminator did not have all the sport, Ray told me he had a good time with you, he could not understand why you did not get out fishing when he was up, Ray recons that he has a bigger swell in the bath at home than you get in the bristol channel. :):P:P

Cheers...........

Keith..............

A very good night Dave and the poults have a better chance of growing up :)

I have been pretty ill with some chest complaint so the four the farmer saw playing in his poultry field a week ago, have had a repreive, but not for much longer :P

Redfox

A very good night Dave and the poults have a better chance of growing up :P

I have been pretty ill with some chest complaint so the four the farmer saw playing in his poultry field a week ago, have had a repreive, but not for much longer :P

Redfox

Get out there and get them :) the fresh air will do you good :(

Good luck

Dave

Well what a busy day it was yesterday. I drove up to Litts in the morning to pick up a gun from the administrators and then later the plan was down Andy's for another crack at the foxes.

Well we clocked up a few miles yesterday and cartainly what seemed an age behind the wheel.

I met Andy at 9pm, we had arranged to go out with Mark a keeper on the shoot we were on last weekend.

The plan being to mop up a few foxes we saw last week and to try out a few more areas where they had now cut the silage. Marks birds are arriving next week so he was keen for us to sort some out around the pens.

We went back to the one area where I had 4 cubs and a barren vixen last week in hope of getting the vixen. She had given us the slip last week so it was important to try and get hee.

Andy lamped around the field and we saw a flash of eyes briefly it was her. She was not hanging around for any one. I tracked her in the scope as she slinked up the edge of the field, Andy trying a miriad of noises to get her to stop and look and present the shot. Eventually a bark from Andy pulled her up long enough for a shot, I had tracked her in the reticule and as soon as she stopped I pulled the trigger, an 87 Vmax brought things to an end. Mark was well chuffed, a good start to the evening.

We moved further on around this block of land and I mopped up another cub which Andy called in.

So things were going well 2 in the bag and we were only an hour in. The next port of call was a field they had just cut for silage, Andy shot 2 foxes in the field the night they cut and new there were more there.

We drove into the field, nothing vissible. Mark parked up the pick up and Andy started to call.

A pair of eyes appeared in the corner of the field, Andy sqeaked again and in it came.

Andy said ready, I acknowledge a single bark it stopped I fired number 3 in the bag.

This was a funy one as the noise of the bullet striking the fox was louder than the report from the T8.

The 6 BR does moderate very well but that was quiet.

The final port of call this evening was back to the main pen in the shoot to try and get a fow Mark had seen early in the morning and couldn't get a shot at.

Right behind the wood with the pen in was a potatoe field, the farmer having burnt the tops of the plants off, leaving a situation of deep furrows with tangled mass of dead foliage on top.

We drove down the field and we saw a pair of eyes, I looked through the scope but the shot was not safe. Around the field we went to try a different angle, we got around and the fox dissapeared over the brow. This bugger was giving us the run around.

Into the field we went, we could see glints of the eye but could not make out the fox as it was lying in the furrow with the burnt off vegetation covering it. We kept driving around altering the angle trying to get a clear shot.

Finnally I could see a head above the row, at 80 yards I popped the dot of the NP-2DD on the head and squeezed the trigger. Down it went, Mark fetched it back and it was a mature vixen , a good one to get out the way.

With number 4 in the bag and it being 1.30 am we called it a night.

Mark was pleased with a good nights work, Andy and I having accounted for 13 foxes in a week on his shoot.

DSCF0753.jpg

When the corn is cut now Mark wants us down again to try and have another go.

Thanks guys for a great night out, I got home a bit earlier than last week.......3am :P

Hopefully fishing in the week :)

Cheers

Dave

Dave, is your rifle an RPA? My local gunshop has just started stocking them and I wondered what they were like, i have read some good reports in the magazines but i would appreciate your opinion, they have them priced @ 2k which I though was a lot for a non custom rifle.

I am looking to swap my 223 for either a 6mmbr or 243AI, is there much difference between these 2 calibres.

Thanks

Neil

I rate RPA's very highly indeed, I have 2 one in 6BR and the other in 6.5-284.

The rifle itself is held in high esteem and is used by many target rifle shooters and F class shooters.

It is basically a UK custom rifle as all come with custom tubes by Border or Walther.

Now neither of mine cost me anywhere near the 2K mark and I don't know wether they are that good value at that price.

The 6BR is my favourite caliber as a lot of lads are finding out. Low recoil and impressive accuracy.

I have no experience with the .243 AI but what I will say is they are a country mile apart and the 6BR will give you a lot longer barrel life.

Varminter on here had a .243AI and Skany has got one so perhaps they could chip in to offer advise.

As far as the 6BR goes what I have acheived over the last couple of months speaks loud enough for this caliber.Getting into the 500 yard club, regular shots between 500-600yds and 2 pearlas of a bunny at 851 yards and a crow at 910.

Happy day a great cartridge.

Cheers

Dave

I like my 243Ai as i wanted a very flat shooting cartridge for lamping foxs as they are a bit wild around a few of our shoots Plus im a self confesed speed freak!:-)(i love the point & squirt to 300yds bit about it too)

Im not sure how the br's are speed wise but i know they are not miles apart with the same bullet & they do what they do with a light load of powder & good barrel life!

243Ai will eat a barrel a lot faster but i read mixed vews on this to !(some say around 1500rds others much more!)

acuracy wise brs are suposed to be bloody outstanding but my Ai is not to shabby either shooting sub1/4 all day long with ease:-)(shot a sub .1 last time i was out:-))

I have a fairley heavy format rifle like many varminters:-) so i alwasy see my hits with the mod on & i see the foxs hit but struggle a little with smaller targets!

id consider a Br next time i need a barrel for sure but for now im loving the Ai

Altho im looking at a cheap 204 to take the preasure of the ai a bit!:-)

I dont think personaly id spend 2k on a rpa altho they look like a good rifle u can build something to your spec for 2k!Altho a low millage sh rpa could be a bargain:-)

I'd have to agree with Skany there. Try and pic up a second hand one, they are an awesome rifle.

I got one on gun trader 3 months ago for £1100 and it shoots fine. I got into the 500 yard club with it a crow at 631 yards, that one is in 6.5-284.

Cheers

Dave

Well mate I can say that the RPA in 6mmBr your shooting is one hell of a mother :P

The amount of lead thats gone down it and the accuracy your still getting is amazing.

I see n8ess was asking about them, I can only say money well spent,but as Dave said get a second hand one at the right price and bang a new tube on if it dont shoot :)

Hi Dave,

Well done on another good night on the foxes!!!!! ;);)

Keith did not tell you , i still get sea sick even with a swell in my bath!!!!! :blush::lol::lol:

As for RPAs , its down to personal choice , i first shot Oneholes RPA in 6mm BR and it s was a craker so i went and bought my first RPA , it was a RPA Interceptor and had a Border 1 in 9 twist barrel chambered in 243 ackley , the bullet of choice for me was the 105 A-max!!

After fireforming i had the 105 A-max crusing at 3150fps and with great accuracy!!!

Awesome on varmints too!!!!!!

This rifle had 1900 rounds through it and was still performing well , but the need for a 6.5-284 RPA was too much so i sold it to finance my new RPA 6.5-284!!

My only regret is i did not keep the 243 ackley , but i know this - when i am looking for another rifle i shall be on a the look out for the RPA as another 243 ackley!!!!

All the best.................

RAY................................................

Hi Dave

Great shooting buddy, the keeper must be chuffed especially with poults due imminently. Ours arrived yesterday been hitting them hard too. :blush:

Another one for the RPA, I bought one in a calibre I already had, 22-250 just for the action etc. Having fun trying to shoot the barrel out :lol::lol:

Cheers Steve

:

Another one for the RPA, I bought one in a calibre I already had, 22-250 just for the action etc. Having fun trying to shoot the barrel out :lol::lol:

Cheers Steve

I know it's hell isn't it. :blush:

What are you going to re barrel her to? ;)

Cheers

Dave

I know it's hell isn't it. :blush:

What are you going to re barrel her to? :lol:

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Thought about either the 22-250 AI with a faster twist ? or your old favourite the 6mmBR, not really sure what else would be an option with size this bolt face.

Would love a 22/284 or a 224 Clark ??? Any suggestions ?? LOL

Cheers Steve

Sounds like you have been busy Dave 13 foxs in a week is good going,that 6BR calibre sure sounds attractive may just get a variation and swap the 243 for one

Other choices with that bolt face

.243AI

6x47 Lapua or 6mm Hot as some call it.

6.5x47

Loads of goodies.

Foxshot you will not regret getting a 6BR :rolleyes:

Cheers

Dave

Archived