exbal + vmax = unhappy foxs

reloaderdan

hi there guys i have finaly got exbal up and running thanks to auquhollie (top bloke) and decided to have a play so i spent the day at work tweeking my 100 yard zero and when i was happy with the group of the .222 it was time to go and have a look.

pulled into one of the feilds on the farm about 800 yards long and glassed the area for about 25 mins then saw the ginger and red flash of a fox pinged it with the rf and it came back as being 397 yards gave exbal the info and it came back with 8.25 moa so i dialed it into the scope slipped the saftey and sent a 55 vmax on its way a split second later there was the old wack as the v max hit home and down went the fox i was well chuffed with this first shot with exbal and a fist time strike

Photo-0004.jpg

first exbal fox

i was now getting the bug and moved over the hill and looked down into the vally gave the feild a good scan with the old bins and saw another fox sat just under a gourse bush pinged him and the rf came back at 461 yards put the data again into exbal it came back with 11.25 moa dialed it in and bang shot number two had struck home with a lovely delayed wack coming back up the valley

Photo-0002.jpg

Photo-0003.jpg

this shot hit him straight in the boiler room

this was enough shooting for me as i had to take the wife shopping ( got to be nice she is paying for the game fair this year :lol: )

all i can say is that this program is great i had to do some hard work developing the load and getting consistant crono readings and now i let exbal do the sums if i miss now its down to me but then all the other misses have been down to me in the past :lol:;)

The windage is the hardest to predict.

Got to understand that if the wind is blowing for arguments sake, 10mph left to right at the firing point, it wont necessarily be doing the same at the mid point or target location.

Takes years of practise to get it right just keep persevering and it will come.

You also need to learn the limitations of using Exbal - if its blowing hard, reduce the distance you shoot at.

Take out a windmeter when your walking and visulise a target in the distance (something reasonable like 300 yards off) take readings as you walk from imaginary FP, mid and target locus, bet you will be surprised at the differences in strength and direction.

Youve also got to undersatnd that if the wind is coming from an angle instead of at 9 or 3 o'clock you input half values (if its coming from 2, 5, 7 or 11 oclock)

So a 10 mph wind blowing R-L but from 7 o'clock gets inputted into the data as such and the programme will work the solution for you.

There are systems that allow you to enter wind value and directions at FP, Mid and target, but they are spendy.

The windage is the hardest to predict.

Got to understand that if the wind is blowing for arguments sake, 10mph left to right at the firing point, it wont necessarily be doing the same at the mid point or target location.

Takes years of practise to get it right just keep persevering and it will come.

You also need to learn the limitations of using Exbal - if its blowing hard, reduce the distance you shoot at.

Take out a windmeter when your walking and visulise a target in the distance (something reasonable like 300 yards off) take readings as you walk from imaginary FP, mid and target locus, bet you will be surprised at the differences in strength and direction.

Youve also got to undersatnd that if the wind is coming from an angle instead of at 9 or 3 o'clock you input half values (if its coming from 2, 5, 7 or 11 oclock)

So a 10 mph wind blowing R-L but from 7 o'clock gets inputted into the data as such and the programme will work the solution for you.

There are systems that allow you to enter wind value and directions at FP, Mid and target, but they are spendy.

I hear what you are saying but out yesterday with a mate and we had a wind from 9 o'clock and exbal said the wind was 3.00 moa @ 250 so I dailed in and was way off when I gave it 4.0 moa I was bang on so if it's out that much at just 250yds what must it be out by at longer ranges? I did manage a rabbit at 337yds which is the first time I have ever got past 300 but I wasn't as happy as I could have been as the windage at 340 was 4.25 moa and I put in 5.5 moa and I still only hit the rabbit in the back end ;) which I wasn't very happy about.

I was lead to believe that you can put in real figures at certain distances if you know them and then the program will re-calculate itself but I'm buggered if I can work out how to do it :lol: Bloody program is doin' my head in. Maybe I shoud just go back to shooting everything below 200 yds I managed ok with that :lol:

The problem I think lies with the fact the wind isn't constant at FP, Mid and target.

If you are shooting very small targets at extended ranges, any variances in wind judgment will affect shot placement.

The example given of hitting a rabbit too far back - it doesnt take much to move a bullet 3 -4 inches off track at that distance (340), sometimes at Diggle we are dialing in three feet of windage to be on at 500 :lol:

Just practice, practice, practice. Thats all I can suggest, costs me a fortune in bullets / powder, but it works for me.

Elevation is pretty much always bob on, but windage is the killer.

Reloaderdan

apologies for the thread hi-jack, well done on the foxes mate.

Quite agree with the boys here - well done that man!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Nigel ,

Well done on cracking the 300yd bunnie!!! ;)

Just like Ronin says , just takes practice!!

We all miss buddy / especially at small pests at extended ranges!!

If the wind is constant then you have something to go by , but when its up and down you have to watch that wind like a hawk!!!

Take care matey..............

All the best...............

RAY............................ ;) ;)

thanks for the reply guys i have been shooting for years and still miss targets like the posts say elervation was spot on and i was shooting in a valley where there was no wind at all i have yet to try it out in the open meddows ect and im sure when the wind gets up my rounds will be off untill i crack the wind meter and exbal but thats the thing about shooting that i love im always learning :lol:

happy hunting guys

Guest varmartin

Awesome shooting Dan...

I have just got Exbal on my Palm Tungsten pda....so looking forward to trying it out under field conditions :lol:

Thanks to a kind chap on here who gave me some help and advise...cheers buddy :lol:

Guest northernchris

Good shooting mate :lol: Just watch out for the down range wind if you pay attention to the

grass,trees,crops etc and note your impact changes in differing conditions,the wind will catch you out,more so as you stretch the range.

Good shooting and an excellent start.

Exbal is such a useful commodity and far easier than carrying around reams of A4.

I have to agree windage is always the difficult one but Exbal is usually spot on for elevation.

If we hit everything every time there would be no challenge :lol:

Cheers

Dave

I must admit im not confident the wind is the same from me taking the reading and the time it takes getting down & ready for the shot!

pluss its gusting pretty much all the time!

Andy

Dan

Cracking shooting with the triple deuce, sounds like Exbal is the way to go when strecthing your legs.

Exbal can't take all the credit, you still had to do your bit, well done buddy :D

Cheers Steve

Brilliant shooting mate!Just goes to show that the 222 is still a great round,with the right man behind it of course.

What load are you using with the 55 v-max?I could not get them to group in my t3 at all,getting good results with 40 v-max and n133

• 2 weeks later...

nice shooting :D what is that moderater you have on that cannon :lol:

Archived