quick load info on the 280 ackley improved

Swarovski1

Nosler reloading data shows the relative,comparable "SAAMI" performance with 140g bullets:

280Rem 3152 fps

280 Imp 3266

7 Rem Mag 3390

These are broadly comparable pressure wise etc,and from 26" barrels (the 7Rem Mag is adjusted up +50fps,from it's 24" barrel).

Neil,note there are two common Improved versions of thw 280 -the original Ackley " 280 rem Imp 40 degree";and the more recent Nosler/SAAMI one "280 Ackley Imp" ( "these" are the RCBS die markings).Pretty much the same performance for the two Imps (given each rifle is a one off in detail) but not completely interchangeable brass;and they lie just about middling between the two regular factory chamberings (280Rem and 7Rem Mag. Likewise energy etc.) This relativity won't change appreciably with other powders.

gbal

I'd think Nosler brass will be for the (SAAMI ) Nosler 280Ackley Imp- since I think it was Nosler that put forward the specification that SAAMI legitimised. It would not be the first time that "Improved' wildcats have differed enough to be non identical-I think something similar happened with the 243 ("Ackleyised") cartridge(s) too-there are at least two versions.

SAAMI standardises the chamber/cartridge-to the SAAMI specs,of course-it does not "outlaw" any of the wildcats.....just something to be aware of when it comes to chambering and matching up dies etc...performance will be pretty close- a degree of shoulder angle isn't going to radically change performance.but may not chamber in the near but not exact clone.

Google should give more on this,if you get to actual chambering-which will depend on the smith's reamer....at that point brass matters...at least there is a SAAMI standard now,so commercial brass should be available for SAAMI chambers (probably Nosler....)

gbal

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry its a bit late ,

Reloader 22 powder is the "go to " powder if you can get it!!! ;)

Ideal for driving the 162s or heavier , myself i felt no need to try the Berger VLDs as with the A-max they have a good BC 625 and are very good for other things!!

Real world , if you are shooting "way out there " so to speak - there are so many variables that we have no control over and you got be very good at reading the wind.

in a perfect world you could have access to a 1000yd indoor range , with no wind , the gun in a support so no human input , perhaps then you can see the difference at a 1000yds in differing BCs / loads!!!

Have fun either way!!! ;)

Oh yes , the 280 Nosler ackley improved is another nice caliber to shoot!!! ;):)

Archived