Great bullet performance

Andrew

I was out prairiedogging yesterday with my CZ Hornet and was again impressed by the willingness of these 34 grain HP bullets to expand completely on small animals like prairiedogs. The photo below shows a dog that was raised up on his forelegs, roughly facing me at 135 yards. The bullet took him under the left foreleg and he was tossed about a foot back from his hole. You can see that there is a roll of gut coming out the entrance hole and there was no exit hole on this lengthwise shot. That is exceptional performance. In cross-body shots the results are much more violent (explosive) but there is never a ricochet.

I know that these bullets are available on your side of the pond so I thought I'd post this. The BC at 3060 fps is .136 and they are relatively inexpensive. I don't think I'd try shooting these full bore from a .22 Eargersplittenloudenboomer but from a .222 or a Hornet they should work well. ~Andrew

DGbulletperformanceJuly08.jpg

Thanks. That was one of 19 I got yesterday in about 2 hours. My farthest shot was 175 yards, my closest about 50 yards.

I found a good deal on 4198 powder a few weeks back so I'm going to load some .222 for tomorrow's shooting. I picked up another 1000 of the Speer "TNT" 50 grain bullets that the Winchester likes so much. I've about shot myself out of the first 1K lot. The thing is that after two years of nearly constant shooting with the CZ Hornet, that heavy barreled Model 70 feel awkward and slow to target. I doubt if I will buy another varmint-weight rifle in CF again. I've had my share over the last 40 years and I've found that nice, light, quality sporter will shoot as well. Along that thought, I ran into a used CZ 527 in 204 this past Saturday evening. It had a Nikon 4-12 on top and was in cherry condition for just over $400. It was a temptation but, then, I'd have to set the barrel back and rechamber it to 20 Tactical. I have too many other irons in the fire...~Andrew

[quote Along that thought, I ran into a used CZ 527 in 204 this past Saturday evening. It had a Nikon 4-12 on top and was in cherry condition for just over $400. It was a temptation but, then, I'd have to set the barrel back and rechamber it to 20 Tactical. I have too many other irons in the fire...~Andrew

H Andrew,

Great shooting made even better sharing quality time with your son, just about to try some 36g Varmint Grenades in my 221 Fireball, hope they perform as well as your 34 grainers !!

On the subject of the CZ 527, you know you want too :D Can never have too many rifles ;)

Cheer Steve

[quote Along that thought, I ran into a used CZ 527 in 204 this past Saturday evening. It had a Nikon 4-12 on top and was in cherry condition for just over $400. It was a temptation but, then, I'd have to set the barrel back and rechamber it to 20 Tactical. I have too many other irons in the fire...~Andrew

H Andrew,

Great shooting made even better sharing quality time with your son, just about to try some 36g Varmint Grenades in my 221 Fireball, hope they perform as well as your 34 grainers !!

On the subject of the CZ 527, you know you want too :D Can never have too many rifles ;)

Cheer Steve

Oh yes you can...

Ask my ex wife! ;)

Let us know how those varmint grenades work, will you? I am tickled with the 34 grainers.~Andrew

Archived