is a 243 AI more accurate than a Standard 243

jonathan.308

Is there any Proof that a .243 Ac,Improved is more accurate than a Standard 243win or is it purely for more powder for higher speeds, I understand that the improved version gives a better throat life but I'm just interested in the accurate side.

as all the articles and information I reed just specifies the increases in speed and never mention the accurate side

Cheers Jonathan

Jonathan, I think your summary is correct-velocity,yes.Sometimes more case life-the shoulder angle is claimed to reduce case stretching;but more accurate is seldom reported,or substantiated-then again,there isn't any loss either. Ackley himself considered the 243 improved as is,but he did eventually do an AI version-which does get more velocity,

Bear in mind that we really need a 'like to like' comparison-ideally the same rifle as 243 and as 243 AI.

Ackleyed rifles are often 'better rifles' to begin with,and/or custom improved in other ways too (stock,trigger,scope.......). Often too rifle twist,and heavier,better BC bullets are used....though effects on accuracy from those are largely unknown/very small-perhaps worse.

And,of course,a decent sample-individual rifles can/do vary a fair bit anyhow.

But there should be enough decent comparisons around for Ackley conversions,with data before/after etc,and in 243 (there are two improved 243-the classic Ackley,and a less common in UK,winchester version-probably either will do for the accuracy issue-they are very similar).

Lets see what users have found!

gbal

I've owned both and there is nothing to suggest one is more 'accurate' than the other. I continue to shoot the Ackley a lot in the field and regard it very highly as a calibre. That having been said I think there is little difference in practical usage unless shooting out to quite significant range with heavy for calibre bullets.

For me the increased MV with the 105 A Max over the standard 243 makes a big difference in practical terms. I think the cases last longer in the Ackley but have nothing to prove it and I am able to use N165 (which I think would be too slow burning for the standard calibre) which is very cool burning and soft on barrels.

My current barrel has around 700 shots through it and still going very well.

cheers

Rich

I'd agree with George. The 243 Ackley I owned was a very nice full custom build (by Russell Gall) and my Dad shot a group with it that I've not been able to better. I'm sure if Russell had built a rifle in 243 Win to the same spec, it would have performed equally well.

Best regards

JCS

Jonathan , Accuracy comes in almost all calibres but its never just as a result of AI . There was a great article on Ackley from years back which mightbe in one of the PS mags that listed lots of calibres and the % gain given by AI .

The usual suspects .... 243 , 220 swift & 22-250 all seemed to be around the 6% whilst the big gainers were 25-06 , 257 and i think the old Krag which were around 25% i'm sure, Wish i could find the book .....

I think if the truth be known most Al's are done because the user just wants one as the easier route for most would be to pick a bigger case !

So anyone that likes making things difficult for very little gain but having a case that looks a that which promotes growth and vigour load better then i'm with you as it's the sort of daft thing i'd do :lol:

OSOK

' Promotes growth and vigour '............ Did i overstep the mark saying it looks a S--- load better ? Sorry :blush:

.....only by about 6-25% perhaps.....

......I'm anal enough to have one,too !!

:-)

gbal

Hi all

Thank you for your thoughts and sharing yore information, as I have not had anything to do with any of the Ackley rounds.

Very helpful

Cheers Jonathan

Archived