best crew cab pick up

Funky Bunch

Ive heard they are gutsy on fuel! A lad came up from down south last year to shoot some reds with my mate and he got a princely 18mph when he was scooting up the M/Way! Mt mate has a hi-lux 05 plate and he gets about 35ish average. Dont get a Navara Ive got 1 and it loves to be seen in petrol stations and its chipped!!!!!!!!

A good mate has a L200 as you say are quite nippy but I wouldnt say its very good on juice , he is getting 26 average in his :huh: .

You can gareentee that fuel like every thing else is gona go up in price. :rolleyes:

i picked up my 04 navara on ebay just over 6 months now, not really helping you decide on the truck funky bunch however i found that my 115 mile trip home from collage at 60-70 on motorway and A road usually used a quater tank :) however driving conservatiely 60 on the motorway and sticking at 50 on A roads (feathering the throttle as not to spool up the turbo) only used an eighth of a tank, took me abit longer but at £1.37 a litre the extra 10 minutes are worth it! Theres no point in rushing lads it costs to much!!

I would personaly say the older shape navaras are far better than the older L200's sorry i cant help on the newer models!

Hi Pete

I know a few chaps with pick ups in various guizes - some have Navara, one has a new Toyota, another a 2 yr old Mitsubishi and another Defender 110 crew cab.

All are pretty competant off road (untill it gets tough then the LR leaves them in the mud)

The Navara - too many "tarmac your drive sir" chaps drive these for my taste and its cramped in the rear seats - poor safety NCAP figures.

L200 - nice looking, low milage bettween services (I think) and spendy on fuel.

Toyota - 1000's of insurgents across the globe make these the 4x4 pick up of choice :)

Defender 110 - nice, especially if you get the one with the new engine can be cramped in pick up area, but had 3 hinds in one (with a bit of pushing)

My choice would be LR 110 (as I like them and not bothered about shiny bits getting bashed)

2nd obvious choice would be the Toyota - as you already have one, maybe replace with newer one have to admit they are attractive.

Being in the trade youre probably in a better position than most to get a "real world view" of reliablility and performance issues with your vehicles of choice, but, iv'e found this site pretty handy when deciding on where to jump next:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/toyota/

Hope this helps

Either stick with the toyota you have or go for another toyota!

For offroad I would keep the '04 model, but if your driving is 99% on tarmac like the rest of us I would go for the Vigo, much better comfort. '02-'05 hilux with original TTE chip and cooper 245/75-16 disco STT tires are really good hunting cars.

I now drive a 06 vigo, which is quite nice on the road and not good in the field. But in the woods I really miss my old 99 model hilux due to the field of view. In the new vigo you can't see where the hood ends and it feels to big in tight places.

Stay clear of all navara with the 133HP engine. The engines tend to break down (lube problem). The newer 177hp navarra is crap in the mud. To much plastic mounted to low. Also not enough clearance in the wheel arches.

Anyone got some experience with the Isuzu D-Max?

I know a few chaps with pick ups in various guizes - some have Navara, one has a new Toyota, another a 2 yr old Mitsubishi and another Defender 110 crew cab.

All are pretty competant off road (untill it gets tough then the LR leaves them in the mud)

no ronin the 110 ends up pulling the others out of the mud :);):lol:

only prob it has got the turning circle of the titanic

all the best bruxie

Guest Baldrick

I run a two LR pick-ups on the farm, a 110 and a 90, plus a tired old Hilux. I use a Disco Td5 for the day job too (35mpg on motorways). If I was buying again, I would look at Isuzu (very tough), but would almost certainly come back to a Landy. Landies just take any off-road work in their stride.

Sorry

cannot help myself with this link!!

love my ford ranger xlt thunder regularly returns 35 to the gallon from motorway to farm work and tows really well

watch out for some of the sporty models as first can be geared high and they dont like pulling away if towing any amount of weight.

Archived