help with jewell trigger install on remmy 700

Picked up my new remmy 700 22-250 last night and had some time tonight to fit the new jewell HVR trigger I got for it. I got the trigger fitted fine, its a simple process and with the jewell trigger it was supposdly setup at 1 lb from the get go all I needed to do was install it. Typical for me there seems to be a problem, on closing the bolt it drops the pin, at first I thought it must just have been setup wrong from the factory and thought no big deal I will just reajust it but I found even turned as heavy as I could get it the pin dropped when I closed the bolt, on a few occasions it didnt drop when I closed the bolt but the trigger was just rock solid and then when I lifted the bolt the pin dropped, anyone know what the problem might be? I worked at it all night and am outta ideas I adjusted it every which way and it still wont work, the only thing I can think is that this is a new remmy maybe I ordered the wrong jewell trigger to fit? Though I dont remember there being much choice, so the big question is should I just chuck the jewell in the bin and go back to the 8lb pull trigger that was on? ;) ps it functioned fine with the old trigger though a tad heavy.

Mate of mine had a similar problem with a Jewel, the ajustment screw at the base of the unit (the one that is under two fold over tabs) was loosening every time he fired.

Turned out that a part of the units internals had broken.

Unless someone here can advise you on resetting it (I can't - dont know enough about em) I would send it back to where you got it from and ask for a replacement?

Maybe better and safer option in long run.

You considered a CG unit from Jackson Rifles?

Personaly think its a nicer trigger than the Jewel

(I'll duck under cover now shall I) ;)

You maybe have a jewell meant for an RPA, it has a slightly different top sear. Take the unit out of the rifle, and press down on the rear of the top sear.it should be solid, now with your other hand, pull the trigger.Is the sear falling, as it should? if it is, is it resetting crisply? if not, try slackening the side plate screws ever so slightly, as it may be binding.This is the major fault with the jackson by the way.Does it work out of the rifle stock? jewells usually need some inletting work to the stock, to allow the safety to function, and dont take kindly to pressure, however small being exerted by the stock.

Guest varmartin

Had a similar problem with my 700 VLS when fitting a Jewell... turned out it was a case of relieving the wood around the safety as Baldie has suggested.

Fitted it 600 rounds ago and not a moments trouble after that.

I have shilen match trigges with safety on my 700vssf 22-250, lvsf 17 rem and BDL 700 30-06, all worked straight from the box as it were, the jewell is very nice but prone to issues with dirt and on a hunting / varminting rifle that you walk about with 1 lb is too light for safety.

A good trigger set at 2 1/2 lb is safe in the field and if properly set up will give you all you want, in fact if you were given 3 rifles properly set up at say 1, 2, and 2 1/2 lb you wouldnt be able to tell which was which as they would all give the " breaking glass" let off.

Some rifles and triggers require some work / adjustment to work properly, some more than others.

But at the end of the day, this is a safety critical item and should be entrusted to a gunsmith who knows what he is doing and is insured to do it.

It is too late when the farmers prize bull or worse still your friend or companion is laid on the floor, dead or seriously injured due to an unexpected discharge.

I mean would you seriously pull the back off your telly and start pulling wires and components out to see if you could make the picture brighter or whatever, the answer is no , because you wouldnt know what you were doing and be afraid of getting your fingers blown off with the high voltages present in there.

So why mess with the most critical safety element of your rifle ? get it done by an expert and sleep happy at nights.

Sorry to be a bit severe but it is too late when it all goes t%^s up and you have real issues to face.

Redfox

Guest Tiff

Just a thought, is the weight spring in place in the trigger blade (held in by one of the 3 adjustment screws).

If you are patient and good with fiddly things Jewell's are really easy to strip and reassemble. There are plenty of diagrams on the web that you can check against to see if its all ok inside. DO NOT strip it if you are likely to loose your rag with it though, since they can easily get the better of you.......I get given plenty of Jewell's in ice cream tubs!

Thanks for the replies lads, after another night working at the trigger I still cant get it too work, no way no how. I adjusted the sear engagment right out and it still wouldnt cock the bolt, so I took it back off and put on the old trigger within 30 mins I had it adjusted down to 2lbs and feeling decent, I wont say perfect but it will suffice for now, tiff I dont think I would want to strip it, I think I am just gonna send it back and let someone else sort it out.

Redfox thanks for your concern, I dont take on adjusting triggers lightly but have done it and do do it on my other rifles, I own a trigger gauge for just such occasions. I am also a great believer in leave it to the proffesionals but unfortunatley living where I am I know of no proper gunsmiths who would be able to do this for me, there is one guy that I know and he does a bit but he is by no means a smith, so I am on my own unless I pay 50 quid each way for crappy sevice from TNT to post my rifle over the water, I take alot of time checking my rifle is safe before going out with it and am confident in doing it, I agree to that 2 lbs or so is fine for a hunting rifle, I was planing on adjusting the jeweel up to 2lbs to match my other rifles as that whats they are set at but instead the trigger will just be goin back to where it came from.

Archived