Sightron S-TAC 2.5-17.5x56 scope with Warne Maxima 1 piece rings

Geezedtee

Hi All.

Earlier I posted about getting a Sightron S-TAC scope. OK, the scope was good.

I fitted it to my CZ527 American with Warne Maxima 1 piece 30mm High mounts.

So far so good. The bolt handle cleared the objective bell and the front of the scope cleared the barrel by about 2mm. Yippee!

I looked through the scope at the shed to check the reticle was still vertical and it was blurred, so I tried to adjust the side focus knob only to discover it wouldn't turn!

It did turn before I tightened the ring top screws! The Sightron instructions ( which I read before mounting the scope) stated "Tighten the scope ring screws to 26ft lbs"

The Warne instructions stated the maximum torque when tightening the rings was 26ft lbs. I have always used 20ft lbs on my NF NXS and Leupold scopes, so that is what I tightened the screws to on the Warne mounts.

I backed off the screws to 10ft lbs and the focus knob turned. I tightened to 12ft lbs and though the knob turned I could hear a binding inside the scope.

I swapped the scope for my Leupold and there was no problem with binding so that ruled out misalignment of dovetails or rings.

I phoned John at Aim Field Sports and explained, he immediately said send it back. I did. He spoke to Sightron USA as soon as he got my scope and explained the binding of the focus knob.

Sightron straight away asked if I was using Maxima rings. He said yes and they said I was the second case that had this problem and they were looking into it.

I have no complaints with John at Aim Field Sports as he offered to refund me, or source and pay for alternative mounts/rings.

I am now looking at the Kozap 2 piece base and medium rings from Optics Warehouse. Are these any good?

Hi Big Al.

Mine did not have the Night Force type knurling for the zoom adjustment. It had big ridges/grooves.

John at Aim Field Sports did say that some of the early models had problems with the tube diameter so presumably mine is a Mk2?

Hi Big Al.

Mine did not have the Night Force type knurling for the zoom adjustment. It had big ridges/grooves.

John at Aim Field Sports did say that some of the early models had problems with the tube diameter so presumably mine is a Mk2?

Yes, yours is the Mk2.

Disappointing to hear, I was expecting you to say it was a Mk1.

Archived