hi all, I'm in the market for some binos, 10 x 40 or 50, price limit £500. Do I go for second hand Leicas, Swaros, Zeiss, or new, but a lesser known brand? What do you chaps use? Or just give me your opinion of best value for money, cheers, vi

Find a decent pair of the well known makes, either of those you mentioned are all top notch, had them all but love my SLCs... :lol:

Guest varmartin
Got a pair of Opticron 8x42 imagic BGA SE binos this year, am very happy with them :ph34r: If you get the chance take a look through a pair.

I have had the Opticron 8x42 BGA classics for a few years and would not change them.

The glass is very good and are the only bins I have used that dont give me a headache when using them for extended periods.

I bought a pair of minox on the net from the states good bins in my opinion,and cheaper than over here

thanks for the advice chaps. I now have two pairs of bino's. I asked a retired gamekeeper what he used, he produced a pair of 10x50 Zeiss which he bought in the 70's, they were as new and he wanted a £100, which I promptly gave him. These are a tad heavy but perfect from the pick up and in the early morning, late evening. The clarity and depth is something I have never experienced before, is it the same when looking through a good scope?

So with money left over I decided to get a set of compacts to carry with me, I settled on a pair of Steiner Wildlife Pro 8.5x26, these too have amazed me, £160 and although not in the same class as the larger Zeiss they are a brilliant piece of kit, if Steiner makes all of it's glass like this I would reccomend them to anyone. I can see I am now going to have to upgrade my scopes.

You just cant go wrong with those old Zeiss models, there is plenty on E bay but for anyone else looking at these beware of copies or fake ones!.The best one in my opinion are the jenoptem 7x50 as they give a superb rounded image and in poor conditions/light etc they come very very close to the performance of bins costing up to £8/900.I traded my leicas in to help me buy a big zeiss scope and I dont regret their passing.If you are on a budget and looking to meet all your shooting needs look up an old zeiss!!!!!!cheers onehole.

Archived