Thanks Nemasis .243

6mmBR

Well a great big thanks to Andy (Nemasis .243) for getting Rays holiday off to a great start.

Andy had volunteered to play host for the.............

Inaugural shoot of the Welsh Branch of the Cornish Fruit Slayers Association :D

Andy arranged through a mate of his Simon(a big thanks as well) for us to shoot on some spectacular ground in the Presselli mountains in Pembrokshire.

We met up around 1 pm and proceded to his ground, breath taking was not the word.

We set up our camp and set out various bits of fruit and eggs out to 500yds.

DSCF0698.jpg

We spent a couple of hours just plinking and having fun taking it in turns to shoot and spot. Andy was getting to grips with his custom Tikka in 6BR and getting excellent results including 2 crows which landed on the roof of a disused building at just over 200 yards, those 87 Vamx really spoiling there day.

Ray also at 400yds pulled off a great first round hit on an egg with my 6BR :P the rest of us havig a great time exploding grape fruit and bursting balloons made all the more interesting by the strong wind.

This picture gives you an idea of what a great place it was to shoot.

DSCF0704.jpg

Well it was also a very lucky day for me as both Ray and Andy are in the Varmint Hunters Association are were able to witness what happened next.

I was playing with my 6.5-284 shooting grape friut and balloons when a crow landed way up the field. The lads started go on have a crack, Ray pinged it with his range finder and out came 631 yards I put all the info into Exbal and then dialed the corrections into the scope. I placed the cross hairs on the crow and took a breath before launching a 140 Berger on its way. Luckily the 6.5-284 doesn't kick that hard and I was able to see my impact, a puff of white and black, the crow slumped forward a direct hit.

Well chuffed :D the lads couldn't believe it.

I have shot a few things over 500yards but never witnessed so that made my day.

DSCF3199.jpg

Well what a magic day and it wasn't over yet. Andy took us to a great pub where he kindly treated us to a cracking meal of steak and chips before we went out for a nights lamping on a local eastate with the keepers.

We got to the estate by 10pm and got our kit together, loaded it into the pick up for the off. Andy lamping and Ray and I sharing the shooting.

Ray was shooting first but the first hour was a bit quiet. Then it all kicked off and we started seeing a few foxes.

We puled into a field and Andy swung the light around revealing 4 foxes. Ray locked on to the first a good long shot up the field he placed the cross hairs of his PPC on its back and flattened the first fox of the night a great shot at 250yards. The other remained in the field and Ray had that one aswell :D

We drove on further and Andy called one out at only 50yds all Ray could see was a blurr of ginger in his scope, what a noise as a 58 Vmax tore it another ar5e.

We changed over and it was my turn to shoot, I managed to connect with a nice cub at 200yds and another closer one which popped out of some growing barely.

We drove around for hours by now it was 2.30am, the keeper said come on lads its still another 2 hours until first light :o , thankfully he was joking!

The evening finnished with 5 foxes. Here's a picture of 3 of them, it was not a good idea to show you the ones Ray created extra ar5eholes for.

DSCF3201.jpg

We said our thanks to Andy,Jim and Vern and made our way home, we finnally got to bed at 4am.

What a start to Rays holiday......

I'm sure he wants to tell you all about what happened the day after.

Cheers

Dave

sound like you guys had a cracking time there and well done on the 600+ shot nice to see long range fur and fether in the scope when it all comes together and some stunning views there

Well that was a fantastic read boys!!!

Glad to hear that you all had a good time and that everything came together on the day and night time :o

Keep up the good work??, It sure looks like that exbal program works????

Have not had a chance to use mine yet :D ,,,, But i sure will in the coming weeks,,

Going to do some ballistic cards for the hmr as well?? now that should be interesting :P

Now i would think that that crow has to be the longest shot at a crow in the uk ???

A uk record boy,s

All the best Darrel

Dave has fortunately saved me a big writeup and i thank him for that!!! :o

As you have probably gathered Dave has kindly invited me up for a varminting holiday in Wales , His good friend Andy ( Nemisis 243 ) kindly invited us out to do some long range shooting / varminting with his friend simon , we had a cracking time and witnessed Dave getting into the " 500yd club " with a carrion crow at 631yds!!! :P

We was then treated to a superb lunch and then out foxing!!! :D

All i can say is big thankyou to dave for putting up with a Cornish friut slayer!! :D

And a big thankyou to Andy ( and his mates -- Simon / Jim and Vern ) for one hell of a time and organising the longrange target / varmint shooting / a cracking meal and for a chauffeured driven foxing foray!!!!!

All i can say to all of you is........... "A BIG THANKYOU!! " :D

And you made a cracking start to my holiday and made me feel very welcome , with a memory i shall never forget!!! :D:D

Its what this site is all about , sharing our friendship / knowledge / experinces and making great friends and memories!!!! ;)

The next day varminting was another story , so you shall hear about that soon!!!!!!!!

All the best.......................

RAY.............................. ;):D

Well guys a great write up and agreat day out for me as well :D , As Ray mentioned this is what its all about ,sharing thoughts and if possible a bit of shooting with like minded folk , I am not sure how many members we have on the site but if we keep growing it can only be good for OUR PASSION!

Its was wonderfull to have the oppotunity to share shooting tales and some really bad taste jokes but that kept us laughing in the early hours :D with two great mates, allthough I could have done with an interperator when Ray started getting exited :o ( I put 3 orange painted eggs out at just under 500yrds and that

F********g PPC had them all :P ) it was great to see

Well lads hope your on the loading bench as Friday is on its way and your comming down again and should have a bit more fun. ;)

And finally I have to mention Daves (6mmBR) crow , there he was pecking away with not a care in the world when this nasty Welsh Man shoves a big slug of copper from his 6.5x284 up his back end ;) , to say he didnt like it would be an understatement , great shooting mate, :D I was a bit concerned when Ray walked out to get the crow and he started eyeing up the Sheep, it must be a Cornish Thing I surpose :D

If anyone hasnt tried long range shooting , have ago thats what these guns are made for and what ever area your in there is surely some one around you that is in to it, all you have to do is ask , it will OPEN YOUR EYES!

What a cracking day you guys have had and i for one am glad to hear it, but i hope you guys think of me because its going to be my ears ray's going to be chewing when he gets back and i will need surgery on my ribs to put them back in place with all the laughing because i know what he's like when he gets going :P . Don't be worried about the sheep though because his dad told me he's left his wadders home so their safe for now :o . Jokes aside nice start to your holiday ray and a good read by you guys too and a nice shot on the crow dave well done. :D

cheers

chris.

Well Chris funny you should mention waders :P , when I asked Ray about the waders, he said "he dosent use them any more" :o , when I asked Why , he t"old me" when there in the waders they have got there back to you and when you have finished you cant turn them round for a quick KISS GOODBYE :D

Get your self down here with him next time buddy ,more than welcome. :D

Guest varmartin

You boys are having a 8loody awesome time by all accounts !!! good to hear it too.

I am jealous as hell down here in Kernow, but keep it up as it makes for a good read :o:D .

Well done to all of you on the long range eggs and corvids.

I am thinking of starting a `club` of our own down here.??

We could be called the `tombola`----- Fruit-Egg and Corvid Killers.. (of Kernow) :P ...maybe ?

Cracking read boys and awesome shooting, a new uk record :lol::D I think those memories will be remembered for long time to come.

Must have been great time, Ray's even smiling in the last pic :lol: LOL

Cheers Steve

You boys are having a 8loody awesome time by all accounts !!! good to hear it too.

I am jealous as hell down here in Kernow, but keep it up as it makes for a good read ;):D .

Well done to all of you on the long range eggs and corvids.

I am thinking of starting a `club` of our own down here.??

We could be called the `tombola`----- Fruit-Egg and Corvid Killers.. (of Kernow) :P ...maybe ?

:lol::lol::D nutter :)

Good shooting you guys hope you continue to have a crackin time up there.Dave what is your load in the 6br/87vmax and in or out of lands please.Thanks.Onehole.

Hi Dave the load I use is

30gn N135 Fed Gold match primer 87 Vmax 10 thou off the lands.

I tried them into the lands with my rifle and the groups were noticably more open.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave,only had one go at the 87,s and was in lands with all loads and was not too impressed,went on to 95 bergers instead but since unloading a loaded round the other night that was in the lands thats where it stayed and dumped powder everywhere!!!!Will have another go with the Vmax now off lands,cheers Onehole.

Archived