6.5 creemoor

Swarovski1

I was wondering if anybody was loading 140gr amaxs or any 140gr bullets, I am curious to hear about the velocities through the chronograph, hornaday say there factory load is 2800fps from 24 inch barrel, I cant seem to find any data that takes the 140s much past the 2700fps mark, has any of you chronied the hornaday factory load, I run my 6.5 06 with the 140gr amaxs at round 2830fps, dont see mmuch point running a long action with 10grs ish more powder if I can run the creedmoor at aroud the same velocities, cheers swaro

I was wondering if anybody was loading 140gr amaxs or any 140gr bullets, I am curious to hear about the velocities through the chronograph, hornaday say there factory load is 2800fps from 24 inch barrel, I cant seem to find any data that takes the 140s much past the 2700fps mark, has any of you chronied the hornaday factory load, I run my 6.5 06 with the 140gr amaxs at round 2830fps, dont see mmuch point running a long action with 10grs ish more powder if I can run the creedmoor at aroud the same velocities, cheers swaro

Quick load basic settings with a 24" barrel suggests about 2880 ish with Reloader 17, RS60.

Hornady's claims are based on a 28-inch test barrel for the AMAX match ammo, the rationale being it's a match round so users' rifles will have longer barrels. A 24-inch barrel would be expected to produce 100-150 fps less, so 2,670-2,720 fps. Actual pressures in this factory ammo are 58,000-59,000 psi average, a reasonable margin down from the SAAMI 62,000 psi MAP, and reports from American testers and users suggest most rifles deliver, more often than not exceed, the claimed MVs subject to adjustment for actual barrel length.

The original 120gn AMAX factory load using Hodgdon H4350 with its claimed 3,020 fps MV had to be toned down after excessive pressures were found in some rifles with what were described as tighter than SAAMI spec barrels, and in any event, case life was too short due to primer pockets quickly loosening. It is now loaded with VarGet at around 75 fps lower MV. The original 2008 factory load for the 140gn AMAX has been a great success and continues unchanged - Hornady case, F210M primer, 140gn AMAX at 2.800", 41.9gn H4350. An industry standard chamber design was produced to suit the 140gn AMAX at 2.800" (the 120gn AMAX at 2.720" due to a different ogive shape) and was developed with Dave Kiff of PT&G. This is the reamer most gunsmiths hold and it seems to suit the cartridge and 140s very well as intended.

Factory ammo, especially the two match products, have been like hen's teeth in this country to date, so I've not met anybody or heard from anybody, who's had the chance to try the AMAX versions.

iam getting 2840fps using 140 amax with elco17 in my 27inch pacnor with 42.2grns @2.800inch overall length

What group sizes are you getting with the Elco17 (I believe this is now Reload Swiss RS60). I think I saw in another post by Laurie that he recommmended RS62 in preference to RS60 due to its cooler burning properties, that is more like H4350. It would produce slower velocity but better barrel life.

If anyone gets .x "rarely"...how do you know whether it's shooter skill optimising the rifle/ammo- or error cancelling out etc?

Bullet dispersion occurs-but is inconsistent in small samples-three shots is very small,five is a bit better...but with previous sots into say .2,a shooter eror may well pull a shotback ito the group,which without the shooter error would have dispersed.....

Sorry guys,it has to be fairly well repeated, not a 'rare' occurance.For really good shooting ammo and rifles...it's the rare group that is slightly bigger than the consistent typical small ones......

Of course if someone else shoots the rifle /ammo consistently into .2,then larger groups by another shooter indicate shooter error.

Sometimes a poor shoot is legitimately called by the shooter-before the target is seen.

In a nutshell, "if I do my part" is fudge-because the group size cannot be attributed confidently to the rifle& ammo precision or the shooter accuracy,or some random mixture on some/all shots.

gbal

Archived