LVSF bedding question

I was just wondering if any of the members on here use a Remi lvsf,and if so,have they tried relieving the pressure bedding between the barrel and the stock?I have heard of people free floating the barrel and bedding the action,but i have heard not allways succesfully.I was just wondering if anyone here had tried it?

Guest varmartin

Before i had my Rem 700 VLS re barrelled to 6mmBR i relieved the pressure bedding and free floated it.

It gave positive results, it was more consistent and shot tighter groups. especially off a bipod.

Go for it as it can always be replaced with epoxy if it shoots worse.

I don't believe in pressure bedding.

Which pressure? the pressure when the rifle is new, then the plastic relaxes over time.

or the pressure changes with temperature because the stiffness of the plastic changes.

Then as Martin says, when putting additional pressure on the barrel via a bipod.

If it where my rifle I would free out the barrel channel by at least 2mm.

edi

i have one and yes you can free float and it did improve it ,cant piller bed though as the stock is flexy and the beding will just crack and come lose in time .get the barrel re crowned it did wounders for mine now grouping 4 shots under a five pence piece with 16x scope so could be tighter with a bigger scope on .mines a lvss 700 remmington..stick with the 32gn pills

Not familiar with the LVSF stock - is this the flexible nylon one or the HS Precision stock with integral bedding block?

If its the cheerful nylon stock then personally I would purchase an aftermarket one as replacement of attempt to strengthen with layers of carbon fibre in resin - Edi is you man for advice on this.

If its the HS Precision stock - it shouldnt be "pressure bedded"

Most, if not all rifles shoot better with free floated barrels.

Thanks Ronin, don't know about that though.

Way easier would be to pillar bed and revamp any old walnut

or laminate stock. (the lads on this site shoot over 500yds with wooden stocks)

I've messed around with a remmy sps stock before. Epoxy does stick to

the stock material but not very strong. If roughened up well one could

possibly risk pillar bedding. Just don't take the rifle out of the stock too often.

Reinforcing the fore end is possible but awkward and might not be worth it.

One chance might be to set screws through from the outside of the fore end

before laminating glass carbon into the forend to ensure mechanical hold.

The remmy stock in the pic I drilled holes sideways through the reinforcement

ribs of the fore end and threaded glass rovings through before laminating so that

a mechanical lock was in place.

As I said before, I'd suggest freeing the barrel channel so far that it is garanteed

free when prone on a bipod. If you can do it yourself try pillar bedding.

edi

DSCN1112.jpg

The problem i`ve got is that it is accurate at the moment,and has even managed a .300 group with 39 sierras and benchmark,so my problem is more the fear of messing it up than anything else.

The lvsf is actually fitted with a Bell + carlson stock and i thought it was pillar bedded,though i`m probably wrong on that one.At the moment i`m just weighing up my options.Still thanks for all the advice.It`s much appreciated.

I think that if its a Bell and Carlson it will have the aluminium bedding V block system (same as HS Precision) and should have a decent clearance for the whole barrel forwards of the chamber / recoil lug .

This isnt a trick question, but in the last post you mentioned that it has shot decent groups. Is the rifle shooting consistant good groups or the odd decent group and some wild ones?

I still maintain that the barrel should be free floated forward of the chamber and pressure bedding will not assist accuracy at all as it upsets the barrel harmonics. (a barrel vibrates ("whips") when it fires, if its pressure bedded you take away the steels natural movement nd impart artifical obstruction to it having a detremental effect on accuracy.

I have one in 17 Rem and dont remember it having a pressure pad.

Mine easily holds very tight groups at 100+yds with no additional work just load development.

It is pillar bedded and has an aluminium bedding block as described here. http://www.remington.com/products/firearms...l_700_LV_SF.asp

Redfox

I will check barrel clearance tomorrow.

Archived