Fireforming Brass

auquhollie

For the past 5 years when i fireform my brass for the 243 ack i just made up a normal round and fired them into paper, thus job done.

I did hear of people using a blob of candle wax instead of a bullet head. Disregarded it back then but with the prices of Heads going up around here ive had a second thought. Is there any one out there that uses the method for fire forming into Ack ?. If so exactly how do you go about it ?. :rolleyes:

ATB

Ads

Guest dasherman

I've done 6mm dasher cases using pistol power/semolina filler and a blob of wax. Worked well after experimenting with the correct charge. Think I only needed 7g of powder to blow the cases out. Its a bit messy but cheaper than full loads. I did make up a fireforming barrel from an old benchrest tube as I didnt want the crud going up my new barrel. You need to make sure you get all the semolina out of the cases as it sometimes sticks to the back of the shoulders and clean the barrel out ever 20 shots or so.

Its a used barrel ive got but will be fire forming with new cases. Just wandered if anyone used the wax and headless method. Might have a weeeee trial down the farm with this.

Ads

I have to agree with Ian. I have used cast bullets, "Cream of Wheat" cereal, and just regular loads. The regular loads are always the best.

Using a bullet is really the only true and correct way of fire-forming brass completely and efficiently in one step. You seat the bullet to snug into the rifling and in that way, the cartridge is supported front and rear and will not stretch too much on initial firing. Cast lead bullets worked sterlingly for this process but you gained knowledge about the bullet preferences of that particular rifle.~Andrew

Archived