.300RUM

njc110381

I personally dont know Dave but suspect that they are not quite enough unless you were cool as a cucmber and had time for good placement :lol:

I wouldnt fall into that category for sure, as someone has already said I might be slipping and hard pressed to keep my feet. :lol:

Firm I used to work for had a factory at Thunder Bay building rail cars, and there were two outfitters in the area, they recommended 30-06 up to 300Wm for black bears and 300Wm and up for the Kodiak/Grizzly on the basis that 90% of hunters were novices.

Redfox

6.5x54? That's got to be pretty close power wise to my 6.5x55? I wouldn't shoot an elephant with that unless I had somewhere to hide afterwards! I'm picturing the same kind of situation as when a lad shot me with a BB gun at school, but ten times worse!

I'm going to give the .375 some thought, and run it by my FEO. It actually sounds like a lovely calibre to use, apart from being a little punchy :lol:

njc,

(Para-phrased from Chuck Hawks) 6.5x54 is less powerful than 6.5x55. Factory loads at the time about 2230 fps with 160 grain pills. W.D.M. Bell was reputed to have shot over 1000 elephant - liked 6.5x54 for brain shots with 160 grain boolits (high SD).

The man had balls........not to stand there just once, but many times. Makes 6.5x55 seem even nicer.

David.

Archived