Custom 10/22 vs Theoben AMT Lightning

Ejcb

Guys,

Currently looking at a .22 semi for target and pest, have been offered an AMT as above, with the evolution Supressor which I assume is slip on?

Heard great things about these rifles however is there anything special about them over a custom 10/22 as provided by SYSS?

I appreciate the action is slightly different and made from steel, but is the bolt headspace and tuned or is it just a rebarreled AMT 10/22?

The theo AMT has a true stainless steel action, bentz chamber on a douglas barrel iirc. The evo suppressor may be bonded onto the barrel in addition to a grub screw showing on the mod( mine is) although I know of one that is threaded. Early stocks were Fajen aristocrat, later ones were a short run of custom stocks done to theoben's design, probably by custom stock, but that is a guess on my part. Barrel lengths vary.

Thanks for the input guys and apologies for the delay in replying!

I'm on the edge of going all out on a .22 semi, so I'm prepared to pay much more than the asking price on a vq or Kidd builder.

The rifle has a 12 inch heavy stainless barrel and an Evo Supressor - not sure if ts strippable or not, or threaded or bonded?

I assume the amts barrel profile is .920 as the ruger?

The stock is a green and brown laminate with a rh comb.

It seems like a good shout - does the steel action aid in accuracy?

The KIdd actions are the best. I have had both VQ and Kidd and the Kidd is so much better. I would almost say too good as the triggers themselves are a tad overkill for a semi and 2 stage on a semi is really pointless for me, but I still love it. I think a full Kidd with everything is around £1600 and a VQ is around 2/3rds of that. The VQ is still a superb gun, but the Kidd is better. Accuracy wise I dont think there is anything between them. I did find on my VQ it was more ammo fussy than the Kidd, but a friend has one that has been jamb free.

I've rarely seen a Kidd for sale, but AMTs come along once in a while and definitely an improvement over a 10/22. Various SYSS and VQs appear in different levels of VQ or SYSS parts. I think VFM would point me in the direction of SYSS but for the ultimate, I would go Kidd. I am not sure who else does them but Greg at Rude Fat Dog built mine. The only ammo I have problems with is some of the larger HP stuff like Winchester. It shoots Eley Subs extremely well.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input guys and apologies for the delay in replying!

I'm on the edge of going all out on a .22 semi, so I'm prepared to pay much more than the asking price on a vq or Kidd builder.

The rifle has a 12 inch heavy stainless barrel and an Evo Supressor - not sure if ts strippable or not, or threaded or bonded?

I assume the amts barrel profile is .920 as the ruger?

The stock is a green and brown laminate with a rh comb.

It seems like a good shout - does the steel action aid in accuracy?

If I'm looking at the right one it's a steal if it shoots. Fluting was extra BTW.

• 2 weeks later...

My Theoben/AMT is one of the first batch, Fajen laminated stock. Lovely tool, shame I now have no rabbits for it.

The only thing to consider is that the barrel is very tightly chambered around Lapua pistol match ammo. This is a very clean but costly round that can passthrough rabbit chests v easily. The Lapua subbies are pretty good in it. Using greasy ammo like Winchester in it will result in jams after 20/30 rounds.

So while its very accurate it is ammunition sensitive. I had the rear of my chamber opened out slightly by Theoben to make it less ammunition sensitive without effecting the accuracy. I used Eley for years but currently use CCI SSHPs.

A

Archived