Steel shot?

247sniper

Hi guys,

What is your thoughts and views on steel shot guys?

I was at the clay range today and two different people said they would not put it through their guns as it recks your barrel.

I understand that your not meant to run it through full choke etc but believed that say 1/4 and half choke should be fine, safe and easy on barrels?

The cartridges I'm using are Black Gold 32 gram 6s. (Fiber wads)

What your thought guys, is this just some people talking shite or is there and element of truth behind it?

Steve

Steve,check out the BASC information under:

Lead and non lead shot;then sub sections 'Alternatives' and especially "steel shot"......there are two kinds of steel shot,ordinary and high performance....a recipe for muddle in the limited casual shooters half baked accounts (as in your club members,it seems).

Your stated load isn't steel is it-sounds like an upmarket game load,with fibre wads (as often mandated for clay grounds). Steel will have plastic wads.

It's an easy clear read,and covers choke,proof and so forth.

gbal

I've been using steel for about 10 years Steve my barrels are perfect I tried quite a few different brands finally settled on gamebore super steel 32gr 5s if you keep your ranges realistic they flatten quarry I use half and three quarter chokes

rgds mike

I'll comment on steel's performance on ducks.

We're mandated to use it in NZ for any game birds within 100m of water, ie all normal duck shooting. My experience which mirrors that of many of my shooting buddies is that it kills nowhere near was well as lead. I'm not talking cheap steel here- I routinely use the premium 3" shells. I was able to use some lead a couple of years back on ducks (well after the regs came in) and it was astonishing the contrast. The lead loads just levelled them.

If you think about it, the carry of steel will never be close to lead due to the density difference. You need to go up a full size to get any killing power and even then, it's not impressive. The second disadvantage is the pattern density is far worse by going up in shot size. Finishing off a woundie at say 45yds is frustrating- we've often had a duck that keeps swimming after you've raked four rounds of #3 steel right through it.

As for using it on clays, I couldn't for the life of me think what you'd want to, other than by Gov't regulation

Cheers thanks for your advise and comments so far guys cheers.

One other thing that I have just noticed is that these black gold I'm using say they have diamond shot.....is this lead or steel guys ??

I does not suggest anything on the box to say that it's steel?? And ideas guys?

Steve

Just found on the Gamebore web site guys, they advitise their diamond shot as "diamond polished lead shot" so that clears it up folks.

Let's get a little choke in them barrels for some driven pheasants. ;-)

Cheers thanks matey, I saw it on their Web site, I was unsure if it was polished steel etc and was worried about putting it through my Parrazzi and bungee it up with chicken etc. Now I know it's polished lead I'm good :-)

Cheers guys

Steve

Cheers thanks matey, I saw it on their Web site, I was unsure if it was polished steel etc and was worried about putting it through my Parrazzi and f e c k I n h g it up with choke etc. Now I know it's polished lead I'm good :-)

Cheers guys

Steve

Archived