Pony Club Shooting Discipline

Grouse

I have been asked to organise this event and training for a local pony club, Macclesfield and Buxton area.

The pistols they have at the moment are a Gamo (not a great trigger, but useable - doesn't look like target shooting grips as others when I googled them?) and a Walther CP99 (unusable due to it having a rotary magazine - single shots only to be used in competitions).

Does anyone have information on what would be a competitive pistol (s) to buy to get satisfactory results to keep interest in shooting, maybe not Olympic standard but who knows! Anyone got something suitable no longer used to sell/borrow as a taster.

Any recommended shops that have a good selection of new or secondhand weapons?

Kind Regards

Richard

Ah been here before (kids and ponies!) To be competitive at Tetrathlon (Show me a kid who is not!) they really need PCP pistol. The original "go to" pistol of Tetrahlon was the Anschutz LP Junior which has now been discontinued. (was over a grand back then)

Sure Shot airguns in Suffolk have always traditionally carried a good selection of pistols suitable for Tetrathlon and are always worth speaking to.

Good luck.

Ah been here before (kids and ponies!) To be competitive at Tetrathlon (Show me a kid who is not!) they really need PCP pistol. The original "go to" pistol of Tetrahlon was the Anschutz LP Junior which has now been discontinued. (was over a grand back then)

Sure Shot airguns in Suffolk have always traditionally carried a good selection of pistols suitable for Tetrathlon and are always worth speaking to.

Good luck.

Yes agree PONIES!!!

Thanks for your input,

Would the Gamo Compact be a competitive choice?

Good luck.

Yes agree PONIES!!!

Thanks for your input,

Would the Gamo Compact be a competitive choice?

They were not around when my Eldest was competing and my youngest has a few years to go before she is ready, so not seen one in use at any events either.

A quick google and search of the horse forums shows the same story of very heavy trigger and poor accuracy.

Mike

Richard,

If you can find a FAS 604, that would be a big step up from the Gamo, very similar operation, single stoke pneumatic but with superb trigger and sights. The Rohm precharged pistols are also very good, not up to Olympic standard like the Steyr or Walther but they don't have an Olympic price either.

Good Luck!

Richard

WARNING!

About ten years ago, a friend and I - both experienced target shooters - were asked to score targets for a large Scottish Pony Club event. We set out to do this the same way we would approach any serious target shooting event.

Well, it was a nightmare - scores were challenged at every level even when there was no doubt about the result. Although inward gauging was in the rules, this was still challenged by people unhappy with other's targets. The event judges kept over-ruling us despite having no experience/knowledge of scoring targets. By the end of the first day (it was a two day event) our eyes met, rolled, and it was agreed we'd had enough. We simply couldn't work under such conditions when our scoring clearly meant nothing, and little Clarissa/Lucinda/Spoilt Bratley's performancewould be manipulated in every way possible

In my near fifty years of shooting, I've never experienced anything quite like this before or since. I will never have any future involvement with the Pony Club in any way - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

WARNING!

About ten years ago, a friend and I - both experienced target shooters - were asked to score targets for a large Scottish Pony Club event. We set out to do this the same way we would approach any serious target shooting event.

Well, it was a nightmare - scores were challenged at every level even when there was no doubt about the result. Although inward gauging was in the rules, this was still challenged by people unhappy with other's targets. The event judges kept over-ruling us despite having no experience/knowledge of scoring targets. By the end of the first day (it was a two day event) our eyes met, rolled, and it was agreed we'd had enough. We simply couldn't work under such conditions when our scoring clearly meant nothing, and little Clarissa/Lucinda/Spoilt Bratley's performancewould be manipulated in every way possible

In my near fifty years of shooting, I've never experienced anything quite like this before or since. I will never have any future involvement with the Pony Club in any way - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Thanks for sharing your negative experience...

Archived