Bit of a change

charly hunter

Was out yesterday visiting a friend and I took my 243 and .22 with me the 243 for a fox I have been after for some time now and the 22 for the bunnies on her lawn. It started with a phone call the day before from her neighbore say she could see this big fox coming down her drive towards her fowl, so out she goes to get the birds in then she is on the phone to me. So this is this is how I ended up visiting yesterday I was sat in her hay loft about an hour before the fox was seen the day before, the problem here now is that all the fields are in hay so other than the drive you can't see the buggers any where else. As I was sat and the time was ticking away I saw somthing come nipping around the corner in the drive and thought at first it was anohter young rabbit but sa it got closer I could see it was a stoat, so when it went through the gatway I nipped around the corner and got my 22 out the truck, well I couldn't use the 243 or I'd not have a pic to show you, would I. <_< Anyway sure enough after about 20 minutes he was back again but heading back home this time. He whipped in behind the garage and as I brought the rifle up thinking he would pop back out near to the gate he turned around came out from where he had just gone in and stood on his back legs looking back the yard. No time was waisted and down he went, you don't need any of these around your birds. Didn't see the fox but I'm told the hay is being cut next week, so maybe I will have the bugger then. HOw many of you guys have shot these little buggers?

dsc01297gu3.jpg

It is a small predator called a Stoat which is as vicious as a wolverine despite being smaller than a rabbit and they often hunt together. It can easily kill game birds on the ground, robs nests and is a real nuisance. Good info here- http://www.yptenc.org.uk/docs/factsheets/a...acts/stoat.html

Just as bad and half the size or less is the weasel, here- http://www.yptenc.org.uk/docs/factsheets/a...cts/weasel.html

Redfox

never shot or seen a stoat they are rare in these parts shot a few mink before and witnessed one fighting with a rat in the middle of the road one morning the mink had the rat no probs unfortunately I had no gun with me or I would have had the mink.

Guest 308Panther

Never seen or heard of one before, at least as a stoat, and it says we got them too...but farther north I think.

heard of ermins...never seen one.

308Panther

Never seen or heard of one before, at least as a stoat, and it says we got them too...but farther north I think.

heard of ermins...never seen one.

308Panther

Ermin is the name given to stoats in winter coat, which is white, this normally only happens during cold weather, I have been lucky enough to see an Ermin twice.

Ian

Hi guys

I shoot one this year whilst decoying pigeons with a mate of mine.we shot a few before this bugger ran straight into the decoys from the hedge behind us so i smoked him as you said you dont want them around your birds.

regards

W

Thats one varmint i havnt shot seen a few but never had a chance with a .22 ,well shot anyhow ch

Shot both stoats and weasels , I remember one day whilst out shooting rabbits I had about half a dozen tied together with some cord. Anyway I was trying to get a rabbit out of some rocks and I noticed that the pile were moving away from me , couldnt believe my eyes it was a weasel trying to drag the whole lot with all its might , they sure do have some strength !!

Hello i shot 1 with a 22.250 about 80yrd on a rabbit.Then 1 nite i was getting rabbit's for ferret's & had shot 1 or 2 but left them on the ground as i was to come back & pick them up.As i came back found a stoat on my rabbit's & the 22lr had a miss fire (click) & stoat ran off.My home was 2min's away so i left rabbit & ran home got my shotgun & went back sat 20yrd from rabbit's & sqeaked & out he came (boom) & sorted.

Archived