Proof marking

PJS Precision

Hi,

What are the gunsmiths on this forum doing re proof marking and Cerakote, I was using the London Proof House as they would to engrave the markings, I was then able to blast and paint without the markings being lost, however the last time I used London I had to wait two months for the return of the rifle and there was no engraving, just light marks which all but vanished after blast and paint. Birmingham would be quicker but their marking is very light. What is everyone else doing?

There is a section on the London Proof House forms which say "special requirements" if you put "please use cutter" under that heading they will use a 60 degree carbide bit instead of the diamond. This will give you nice deep markings that can be blasted or cerakoted without issue.

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry I'm slow in getting back. Mark does your finish not get damaged? How long do you guys have to wait for London, do you take them in yourselfs. Phoned Birmingham today and was told they would engrave the markings if the barrel action fitted in the machine, has anyone had this done at Birmingham?

I take mine in to London and leave them with them.

So far they haven't damaged a paint finish, but Cerakote and Duracoat are pretty tough.

They do take care though....apart from when they engrave them in the wrong place!!!

London waiting times vary, and they last few times I've been in there the place has been packed with guns

There is a section on the London Proof House forms which say "special requirements" if you put "please use cutter" under that heading they will use a 60 degree carbide bit instead of the diamond. This will give you nice deep markings that can be blasted or cerakoted without issue.

Do these deep marks not materially weaken the firearm, requiring immediate reproof at customer's expense followed by re-marking: resulting in an immediate need to reproof etc etc etc?

The marking are not deep enough to significantly weaken a barrel, we have to presume the proof house know what they are doing. Yes the Cerakote is really tough, however I would prefer to get the engraving done first if possible. Looks like another long wait for me. Thanks guys

Archived