New bit of kit

JohnGalway

Afternoon all,

I've bought myself a remote controlled caller. A Mini Colibri, all the way from Italia. It's more familiar name over this side of the world is the digital Callmaster. But, the Callmaster is just a renamed Mini Colibri. It just arrived this morning. In the destructions it reads the remote control has a range of around 50 metres, I decided this obvious bit of fibbing needed testing. Back on the farm I picked out a spot that has 160 metres of uninterrupted line of sight. I set my caller unit on an upturned five gallon water drum and started walking away from it. I tested the various ranges from 30 metres to 160 metres as verified by rangefinder. I was more than delighted to discover that at 160 metres the remote controller works brilliantly! Increase/decrease the volume, or switch between any of the 10 calls on the chip. I managed to call in two slightly annoyed greycrows/hoodies with my testing, for photographic purposes naturally. Later on I'll try it at longer ranges down the beach, just to see what it can do. Now, as many will know I already have a Callmaster unit. Good news for those owning them is that the chips in the Callmaster will also work with the Mini Colibri, as you'd expect, given they're basically the same unit. I've also seen these units on display as the Tecnoest. All the units themselevs will have Mini Colibri written on the casing.

SL380099.jpg

SL380102.jpg

Good buy I reckon :D

All the best,

John.

£200 all in Rogern. Expensive I know, but I know the units pedigree as it's non remote version has called in tons of foxes for me. This will be more versatile, plus it's very small it will fit into a normal jeans pocket easily. I tested out the range of the remote control again this evening, I got to 285 yards before I lost line of sight, worked perfectly at that range and I expect it will go farhter when I can find a nice wide open space :D I'll find out on Saturday how far it will work when planted in some tall grass or something like that.

I got to 285 yards before I lost line of sight, worked perfectly at that range and I expect it will go farhter when I can find a nice wide open space :D I'll find out on Saturday how far it will work when planted in some tall grass or something like that.

Hi John

That sounds very impressive, :o The FoxPro's are awesome but 285 yards !!! Lets hope you have the same success with the new unit, keep us posted.

Cheers Steve

Hi John

That sounds very impressive, :o The FoxPro's are awesome but 285 yards !!! Lets hope you have the same success with the new unit, keep us posted.

Cheers Steve

Tell me about it. It reads 50 metres on the instructions! Before I went out with it I would have been happy with 70 or 80 metres!

This is a photo of what you can see once the back cover and chip is removed. The blue switch picks between the remote control unit working the sounds or the controls on the unit itself. So you can swop between a remote ambush caller or a walk around foxing caller. It's the only quibble I have with it as it could have been located in a better spot, like outside with the other controls. Apart from that though I'm loving it :D It's plenty loud, compact and pretty much foolproof to use so far.

SL380103.jpg

Guest rogern

John, what selection of calls are there on the unit and what do you think of them.

I have the Ucaller, its ok and the hare call gets most results.

regards

John, what selection of calls are there on the unit and what do you think of them.

I have the Ucaller, its ok and the hare call gets most results.

regards

Each chip on the model I have will hold ten calls. But, I have compatible chips from my Callmaster unit so I have four chips I believe, that's forty calls. I have fox calls - mating, dog, vixen, cub etc. rabbit and hare distress calls, lamb, piglet, phesant poult, turkey, magpie, hoodie, crows and a good few more that I have forgotten since I don't use them for various reasons (some are illegal to use here, but not to have). The calls have brought in many foxes for me, some I could only stop by shooting them, shouting, barking etc wouldn't work. For me a certain rabbit distress call works best.

Each chip on the model I have will hold ten calls. But, I have compatible chips from my Callmaster unit so I have four chips I believe, that's forty calls. I have fox calls - mating, dog, vixen, cub etc. rabbit and hare distress calls, lamb, piglet, phesant poult, turkey, magpie, hoodie, crows and a good few more that I have forgotten since I don't use them for various reasons (some are illegal to use here, but not to have). The calls have brought in many foxes for me, some I could only stop by shooting them, shouting, barking etc wouldn't work. For me a certain rabbit distress call works best.

I purchased the non remote model and for the price i have no complaints superb compact piece of kit.

Be careful....

Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981

Part 1

Section 11 (2) (d)

" Uses as a decoy, for the purpose of killing or taking any such wild animal, any sound recording , or..... "

which prohibits the use of sound recordings, unless I am gravely mistaken, or there is now some kind of exemption in force?

Be careful....

Part 1

Section 11 (2) (d)

" Uses as a decoy, for the purpose of killing or taking any such wild animal, any sound recording , or..... "

which prohibits the use of sound recordings, unless I am gravely mistaken, or there is now some kind of exemption in force?

Does that apply to game or vermin though.

Also does it refer to recordings of actual animals as opposed to "made up" sounds.

As far as I am aware, in the jurisdiction I'm in, use of these callers for vermin is ok. But, prohibited for game.

Be careful....

Part 1

Section 11 (2) (d)

This only applies to birds and Game - not Vermin etc

As far as I am aware The Act applies to 'any animal which is living wild' .... vermin in some eyes or not.

I see in the Act there is scope for the granting of licences by the Appropriate Authority..... maybe that is the situation generally?

http://www.jncc.gov.uk/page-3614

Have a read and see what you think ...

BTW I am not trying to be smart, but these things are usually made in the USA and used quite legally there as far as I know, the situation in England & Wales is different IMHO, and Plod might get interested ?.

Archived