Tikka T3 Super Varmint, ATN Arrow 6 WPT with Ward IR Laser and T8 Mod

Guest Stacka

Guest Stacka

After a very long test in the field I feel it really hit on the ultimate foxing rifle.

I do a heck of a lot of foxing nowadays on a few estates for many varying reasons to that particular land owner.

After getting rid of my beloved .222 which I was fond of, I decided to get a .22-250 so I could reach out a bit further and touch a few more foxes hearts. After searching around I eventually settled on a Tikka T3 Super Varmint

322152D7-E85C-46F6-8064-F0BD1FDC53B6_1.j

Now we all know of the shelf Tikka's are excellent rifles. And the Super Varmint hasn't disappointed. The stainless steel varmint barrel is easy to clean and has been producing ragged hole grouped with my home load .22-250 rounds in 50gr Nosler Ballistic Tips powered by 41grains of H380.

The thing that so.d this rifle to me was the flexibility of it. It has a picitiny rail pre built in with a adjustable comb and a adjustable butt. The super thick fore grip gives super rugged ness and a really firm grip. Plus it sits really nice in my vanguard bipod yolk.

The adjustable comb is locked by a grub screw and latch mechanism. Which helps check the cheek position right every time. With the night vision this is a must as most night vision units sit very high on the rifle owing to the massive objective lens.

2625D947-E0DC-45B4-885C-5777DECDBDEB.jpg

The bolt is smooth as you would expect with a Tikka and the bolt handle has a reassuring oversized knob to it, and is especially good when my hands are losing sensation on those bitter Wiltshire winter nights.

I decided on a good old T8 Mod, no other reason as I like the old boy. Now with the additional extra of Napier's Silensave + spray I know it's never going to rust out. After every outing I pop my mod the pipes for the water boiler to dry out any moisture and then in the morning give it a small spray of Silensave to keep it healthy. T8 mods really do muffle that shot report and now with the addition of Bushwears Moderator Cover that tinny sound has gone.

5089E033-1765-4CA1-BE11-6AB3A71FF341.jpg

Now to the night vision. I toyed long and hard over digital and tubed. I had a £2k budget for my night vision and settled on ATN's offering of its new Night Arrow 6 in WPT (White Phosphor Tube) the unit was under my budget and with the 6 times mag it made my other units look not worth a look. Now if you don't know already WPT is a new generation of night vision offering a white image with a tiny hint of blue. What this means is a better feeling of depth and clarity. I'm not going to sit here and say ATN stuff is made like military kit.....it isn't but for the use its intended for its good for value and Scott Country have worked hard to improve ATN's previous customer service woes. And a good job they are doing.

700E2EC2-BD38-4CD2-957D-D468D6F55DBB.jpg

To further the ATN's ability I decided to get a IR laser illuminator from Clive Wards Night Vision Store. The soft touch IR illuminator sits perfectly on the Arrows pre built Picitiny rail and has a lovely soft touch button with 3 power modes. I went for the N2000 Version with is ultra invisible laser module is pretty much undetectable by my quarry.

The Tikka's attributes as an superb rifle is unquestionable, it's ability in the super varmint flavour is amazing. I won't be looking for another fox rifle for some time yet.

All the best.

T

EFAA07E1-8B4D-4E69-A021-386E6CB59AC5.jpg

Tikka T3 Super Varmint .22-250 and T8 Mod from Wiltshire Rod and Gun http://www.wiltsrodguns.com/

ATN Arrow 6 WPT form Scott Country http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products-ATN-Night-Arrow-6x-Night-Vision-Riflescope-5859.htm

N2000 IR Illuminator from Night Vision Store http://www.nightvisionstore.co.uk/n2000-laser-ir-illuminator-c2x14685567

agreed , The tikka supervarmints are a great rifle and in the 22.250 you certainly have one of the flattest hard hitting calibres for foxing .

SV's are my first choice as a rifle for a NV platform, I have had 3 of them - 223 x 2 and a 243. All of them were excellent with a wide range of bullets .

My previous set up..

DSCF0077_zpsgnojvev9.jpg

ATB

S

Good rifle; I have one in 204 and the stocks are a bit rubbish but the thing shoots well so hey ho.

• 1 month later...

Nope no more heavier than the standard stock which I love also.

The KRG is s heck of a lot more stable. And the position is perfect.

The only real con I can think at the moment, and it's a small one. There is no side rails which would be handy.

2396E496-800E-4ADB-BB19-AEAC00BBFCD7_zps

But it's a serious fox slayer, super stable to ensure those longer shots

Archived