Sako A1/XS action vs Tikka T3 small action

Hi Guys,

Anyone know if the actions are the same? I've heard a lot of good from guys on the US side about the A1 action for converting it to sub calibers. It looks like the XS is the same as the A1, just a name change. Is the Tikka small (222, 223 based) the same size and general mechanism as the sako?

Thanks

Rick

Hi Guys,

Anyone know if the actions are the same? I've heard a lot of good from guys on the US side about the A1 action for converting it to sub calibers. It looks like the XS is the same as the A1, just a name change. Is the Tikka small (222, 223 based) the same size and general mechanism as the sako?

Thanks

Rick

Rick,

The T3 action is only made on a long action. The .223 and .222 actions are the same length as the 30.06. The older model tikka's such as the 595 short if i'm correct and 695 long were much better for the base of a re-barrel. I have a t3 in .223 and must say its a great gun but wish I knew more about action size before I bought it.

Any sako action is a winner in my eyes, so I wouldn't worry too much

all the best

Dave

Rick,

The T3 action is only made on a long action. The .223 and .222 actions are the same length as the 30.06. The older model tikka's such as the 595 short if i'm correct and 695 long were much better for the base of a re-barrel. I have a t3 in .223 and must say its a great gun but wish I knew more about action size before I bought it.

Any sako action is a winner in my eyes, so I wouldn't worry too much

all the best

Dave

I have a A1/222 remington, i think is the alone action really made for this cartridge

Hi Dave,

I think where I got confused with the Tikkas is that the 595/695 difference to start with, then in their cartridge options they list them as short, medium, short mag, long, and magnum the same way as sako do. But when you look at the measurements/specifications it only lists one length for the rifle.

Is the Sako XS the same as the old A1? Anyone know how common the A1 actions are or what models they were on? I'd like to see one in person since I've heard that they are so nice for short actions. In the US they don't import them anymore. If they really are something special then I'd like to pick one up before I go back. Not anything pressing, but I'd like to know the full story before I make up my mind.

Thanks

Rick

There is no such thing as a Tikka T3 short action.

All calibers utilise the same action, with bolt stops set to give a different amount of bolt travel for traditional short (222, 223 etc), medium (243, 308 etc) and long (270, 30-06 etc) cartridges.

Tha Sako A1 was introduced around 1980/81 as a replacement for the almost identical L461 action. It is perfectly sized for the 222 class of cartridges. I have two- a 17 Rem and a 22 PPC.

It is a lovely action- not to be confused with the later 75 action 1.

The Tikka 595 catered for 17 Rem, 222, 223, 243, 22/250, 308, 7mm-08 cartridges, whilst the longer 695's were chambered for the longer 270, 25-06 etc.

The Tikka actions are nothing like as dainty as the short Sakos. What are you planning to build?

17 rem,

Thanks for the info, that's what I was looking for.

I've been looking around at different actions for sub caliber stuff like mach IV's/javelinas, 17/222, 20 practical, a BR, etc. I'm a fan of savages, but they only really offer short and long. I caught wind of the A1 action and that they don't import them into the US anymore. I thought they might still be available over here, just called something else. In looking through the Tikka and Sako websites, it looked like they have 4 or 5 different actions for sako's by the way they describe the cartridges as XS, med, Large, etc. Guess not.

So really, if I want an A1 action, I have to find a 20 year old used sako in 222, 223, 17 rem, etc. Or, I could find a 20+ year old L461.

Thanks,

Rick

Archived