.223 twist rate: Fast for heavy bullets; how about fast for light ones?

I am in the market for a Tikka T3 Light Stainless in .223 I would prefer to save money and buy second-hand, so it would be difficult to be too specific about specifications.

It will be used for muntjac, CWD and rabbits out to a maximum range of roughly 200 yards. The deer will be taken with heart/lung shots.

The T3 comes in two twist rates: 1 in 8", and 1 in 12".

I am aware that the rule of thumb is to use a fast twist for heavy (long) bullets. I plan to use bullets in the 50 to 60 grain range, in factory loadings.

My question: Would it cause any problems, in the above circumstances, to use a fast twist and light bullets?

maximus otter

In general - NO

I have had two super varmints and a standard T3 hunter all in 223 flavour. Each rifle had the 8 twist fitted.

The standard fodder for each rifle was 55 - 60 grn Bullets - with heavy lead being used just for LR shooting.

I also tried some 40 grn Vmax in both SV's and even these bullets were producing below 0.7 moa and velocities around 3650 fps

Accuracy got considerably better around 55 - 60 grn region. 55 grn SKB's and 60 grn Vmax were my "Go To" bullets and proved superb fox slayers and excellent for sub 400 yrd shots when conditions weren't too wild.

For longer range vermin and targets - the 75 grn Max or 68 grn Hornady BTHP launched by a stout load Vit 140 gave outstanding results with velocities of 2860 fps & 3100 fps respectively .

ATB

S

Sherlock's detailed answer is very good,with real world useage.

Yes,faster twist for heavier bullets....but the detail is also that a fast twist will handle light bullets generally well,but the slow twist will not stabilise the heavies.The fast twist is far more tolerant of a wider range of bullet weights.The slow twist might be optimum for the very light bullets-but the difference in practical field accuracy is very small,as Sherlock reports,and the price paid is that the heavies cannot be used-where they are needed,on the legal dee species,and almost anything at longer range. The 1/12 might be the choice for a dedicated 200y target rifle-though there are better cartridges for that-but the 1/8 is the better choice for most anything else,and all field shooting.

I know you specify 200y,but the 1/8 will allow the option to extend that for suitable targets-it's also likely to be more desireable if you ever want to sell the rifle. Good shooting.

gbal

In my experience it is not always the weight

It's the length

Boat tail BT with 5+R secant ogive (being facetious there btw) and it will take a lot more twist than often expected or shown on bullet stability charts

I have a 1:14 .222 that shoots 60gr soft point flat base bullets very well

Won't shoot 52 Amax which is longer

It's the length

Boat tail BT with 5+R secant ogive (being facetious there btw) and it will take a lot more twist than often expected or shown on bullet stability charts

I had a similar problem with hornady 75 gr bthps and 68 gr bthps. The 75 would stabilise in my 1-9 but the 68s were all over the place. The 68s are very long for their weight.

It's the length

Exactly right mate.

Archived