Ruger 77/44

6.5shooter

Hi all,

Does anyone on here own one of these rifles in 44 magnum

I would be interested to hear from anyone who does as to what they think of it.

How accurate/inaccurate are they?

I dont expect one holers at 100 yards or anything as it would be used as a fun gun but I would definatly like to hear from anyone who has one.

Thanks

What do you intend to do with IT , reason is the 44mag version is not as accurate as the 357mag version , the 44mag is a 2-4moa , the 357mag about a 1-2moa roughly .

I donot know what you want to do with it , both are fun , depends on your intended use , also the 357 suppresses better due to smaller bore size , in simple terms the smaller 357 is twice as accurate as the bigger 44 version .

Hi Chris,

As stated above it would be used as a fun gun, shooting steel plates etc, 150 yards max, more often between 25 and 100 yards.

It could also possibly be used as a hunting tool.

Do you have one of these rifles?

Is this kind of accuracy with homeloads or over the counter ammunition?

Thanks

Alled 12 on here had one, i did all the loading and developement for it, it was dreadfull!1

He had it conditioned for deer, the intention to use it close quarters in dense woodland.

With factory ammo and premium handlaods, off the bench at minsterly the best we achieved was 5" five shot groups with most groups running between this and 8"

Factory ammo was Federal, Winchester and Hornady leverevolution, handloads were made up with 240grn LSWC, Sierra 210grn Sportsmaster JHC and Hornady 225grn FTX all driven by Winchester 296 powder out of Norma brass.

After a whole day of testing Alled decided it was not accurate for the intended purpose and decided to sell it.

My advice would be to stay away from one mate.

Ian.

I have both , in NZ alot of the 44mag rifles where chopped down ( 12 inches or less ) & suppressed , the 357mag has only been on the scene a couple of years & as such fewer are in use in NZ , our use is mainly pigs, deer & goats , and both will do the job.

The 44 mainly tops out at 240gr & the 357 at 195gr in subsonic use , go heavier in bullet weights requires a tighter twist than the Rugers come with .

Im surprised to hear the accuracy is so poor!

I thought a bolt action would be more accurate than an underlever rifle like a winchester or marlin.

1-2 moa would be acceptable but 5-6 is very poor.

Archived