Peep sights at 100m expected moa?

OK guys I bought a very nice winchester p14 sporterized buy fultons, its been rebarreled into 762x51 (308),with brindle aperture sights and trigger,it has a 26" 1/14" twist barrel and shoots the surplus ammo quite well 147g silver coloured bullet heads with the double primer . I would like to know honestly what type of group should be achievable from a very keen persistent shooter of 3 years like myself be able to achieve. And what could it do in the right hands.

Cheers Any

My No4 Mk1 Lee Enfield with stock sights and a good condition bore shoots about 5" groups at 100m with my eyes. I once put a scope on it and shot 2" groups so I think 5" is the limit of my eyes and iron sights.

That is shooting elbow rested.

The only real way of knowing what you can expect is to strap your rifle down and shoot a group in the calmest conditions you can get and see what the rifle is capable of then that's your target.

The limit of your combination as described will be the ammunition (if by silver bullets you are talking sbout the German MEN milsurp ammunition?).

Apeture sights (ring foresight and your Brindle rear, probably with an iris?) can be set up to work well. Make sure you are using a suitably sized target at 100 yards, you really need a solid black 'dot' of about 200mm diameter for your eyes to sort things out. Also use a largish fore sight insert. Your eyes will put a dot into a circle very well, the rear sight iris needs to be adjusted to give the best picture, it works like a pin hole camera.

Here is accuracy at 100m with open sights and a 1877 rifle, cast bullet, black powder, 5 shots:

Sharps771.jpg

Just need a bit of practice and adjustment.

Brgds Terr

Well to give you a guide - The P14/Fulton/7.62/aperture sight is, or rather was a very standard Target rifle, used to good effect in club competitions for many years, many were barrelled from .303 to 7.62 in the 1960's.

These were only ever shot with a sling and aperture sights, no rests, bipods or scope, also shooting ammunition issued on the day, usually Radway Green (green spot) and performed well out to 1000yds.

The bull on the TR target at 200 yds is 3.5", so under 2moa. A good shot, with a good P14 in still conditions would be quite capable of scoring 50 x50 under NRA rules (no rest or scope)

So I think you should be aiming for sub 2moa fairly easily, the aperture sights work very well with a well defined round aiming mark.

The ammunition you are using might be the weak link.

Cheers guys. The rear peep is the iris type and the target was on a3 paper I guess the black scoring circle was around 7-8" I got 10 shots in it of my elbows single feed in 2 min, I was happy. I am awaiting for the results.

Has anyone successfuly converted to a 10 shot. Currently myself and a good friend have managed to retro fit the old floor plate and an adapted 5 shot internal mag to suit,I'm having feed issues with the work we have done.

Thanks Andy

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late reply,I managed to win the comp by one point,I got 84 out of 100 on a nra 100m target as I remember . So after a bit of a rush and with a bit of help setting up the sights I'm over the moon. I have the option to fit a scope to the rifle so I may see what she can do with the surplus ammo.

Thanks Andy

Archived