Powder Choice for 30 Cal 210 Berger LRBTHP Bullets

Brillo

What is the consensus on this?

I'm going to try some 210 grn Berger bullets in my .308 rifle. It is throated such that I'll get with the throat as it is with a COAL of 2.977". The shank is seated fully in the neck and the boat tail is just in the shoulder.

I've entered data for RS 52 and RS 60 (Elcho 17) and both predict potential good results. For the same case fill ratio RS 52 predicts a higher MV but higher pressure than RS 60.

Does one give higher felt recoil than the other?

What are you F T/R guys using?

Thanks

With my 30 inch obemeyer barrel 1 in 11 twist, lapua palma brass, wolf sr primers, Berger 210 LRBT, COAL 2.895, Varget 41.0 grains gave me best accuracy. 2528 fps average velocity. accurate arms 4350 with same data, except 44.0 grains powder gave average 2532 fps, accuracy not as good, and alliant mr 2000 44.2 grains gave average velocity of 2546 fps and accuracy not as good as varget. I believe reloader 17 will give the highest velocity and great accuracy as long as temp stability dosen't come into play. reloader 17 works great with the 185 juggernauts as long as temp stays 50 degrees and under where i shoot. unfortunately it's 95 degrees here today. i shoot varget when its hot and reloader 17 when it's cold outside

RS52 and Elcho 17 (Is that RS 60?) would be the ones to go with for anything above 200gr bullet weight. There's not much else around which will give you a decent MV given the .308's case capacity and pressure limitations.

Doubt you'll feel much difference in recoil between them.

As said, RS52 probably deals with temp. variations better.

Archived