223 subs

dazzer

Yes of course, just stand 1000 yards away :)

Sorry couldn't resist that, short answer though is yes it can. It is not as common in my experience as some other calibres as the end result is not much more lethal than a .22lr. However if you decide to give it a try I would recommend the heaviest bullet you can stabilise and the use of "trail boss" powder.

With subsonics there is a risk of flash over due to small amounts of powder in the case and "trail boss " mitigates this due to its bulkiness.

Remember the reloading for subsonic is a little like normal reloading in reverse.

Start with the mod off and shoot at 25 m, check you are getting nice round holes (no key holing) and the velocity is around 1000fps. Then repeat at 50m and 100m. ONLY once you are convinced that you are getting clear round holes 100% of the time should you consider putting on the moderator. YOU DO NOT WANT a baffle strike.

As normal be extremely safe and take others opinions to confirm the above.

There may be a niche-somewhere. 300 Blackout found one (allegedly) using the 223/AR15 platform....?

OK ,more objecively,subject to comparable accuracy with 22rf rifles,and Ewan's points about moderator use,a sub-sonic 223 might approximate the 22rf,which has been quite popular.

Eley subs 40g @ 1065 has 50 trajectory 4 inches with 100y zero and 100 ft lb ME

Aquila subs 60g @ 950 ' 5 ' 120

55,maybe bettter yet,69 g from 223 at subsonic velocities won't be much different.

I suppose if a 22rf class cartridge was needed,and only a 223 rifle available (or if the AR15 platform had to be used,without a 22rf option,or "just 'cos",then it can be done (at a price well in excess of 22rf ammo.)

gbal

I don't think Hickok45 seems very confident that a man op AR15,or much else,shooting subsonic 22 bullets in the 223 rem case has a niche-kind of hard to argue for it in preference to the 22rf ,especially in semi auto,in most scenarios (esp as the 22/223 will be 20+p a pop;plus reloading time).

gbal

Archived