Accuracy gone walkers

Hi guys,

Recently my tikka has started to go weird. It used to print groups of about .2 now it's about 1. I have a suspicion it's my mounts as I borrowed them off my .22 just to do until I got the better glass of it. Looking back I think it got worse every time I take the mounts off to clean but I'm not sure. I have scrubbed the barrel a few times with Rem BrightBore (maby 3 times since getting the rifle). Iv around 280 rounds through her. Could I be looking at a carbon ring? I know the Re10x I use is a dirty powder.

Cheers

Geordie

Why do you take the mounts off to clean ?? I've had some rifles 5 years plus and never moved the mounts !!

Gaz

I leave the scope in the rings just unscrew the bottoms. I shoot a bit in the rain. If i don't pull the mounts off water sits in the groves on receiver and rusts.

Hi bud.i doubt if your 22 mounts are suitable for you tikka as the front tikka mount has a recoil lug on the bottom that sits in the recoil lug hole in the action.i expect the mount is slipping along the dove tail grooves everytime you shoot and that's why it won't hold its zero.get yourself some optilocks asap.regards swaro

Hi bud.i doubt if your 22 mounts are suitable for you tikka as the front tikka mount has a recoil lug on the bottom that sits in the recoil lug hole in the action.i expect the mount is slipping along the dove tail grooves everytime you shoot and that's why it won't hold its zero.get yourself some optilocks asap.regards swaro

Cheers for the input man. The receiver is a fair bit wider than my .22. I have NF mounts already waiting for the new glass. The tubes are different sizes hence why i haven't used them and they only work with a pic rail (Which I don't have yet). The Contessa rails have the built in recoil lug and are a bit cheaper than the Sako equivalent.

I would never take my scope of to dry if it got wet.i towel try it and stand it in the airing cupboard muzzle down so any water runs out.i use a silicone cloth to keep it from rusting.rifles get wiped with it everytime before they go back in.there should be silicone in every nook and cranny even around dovetails.cant see the need for a picattinny rail unless you need a canted rail for extra elevation for long range.optilocks are superb mounts and rings.atb swaro.

Archived