advice needed

I was just wondering if anyone on here can help me out.I`ve got a Remi lvsf in 204 ruger and there is a bit of primer cratering with factory and homeloaded ammo.I`vr tried all the advice i`ve been given by others, and the only cause left is an oversize fireing pin hole.

I was just wondering if any members have an idea on cost,and also a good place to get this done?

Regards,Jamie.

Mine does it too and it has been back and had a new bolt fitted, I know two others that do as well.

It is only slight and doesnt rupture and I have tried both various home loads and factory ammo, with no change, so I ignore it and get on with shooting it.

I have also fitted a custom pin and special spring with no further improvement.

You could send it to a reputable gunsmith and have the bolt bored out and a plug screwed in and drilled to be a tighter fit on the pin, but it would cost quite a bit and not make it a better rifle so as I said shoot and enjoy, forget it.

Redfox

I am not in any way qualified to answer this but if this is a new rifle maybe you have a headspace problem in which case it should go back for rectification. The fact that this happens to new factory cases in a worry.

If it is out of warrenty then there are a number of guys here that will do a good job for you. I have not personally heard of an oversize firing pin causing cratering, that is normally caused either by overpressure or resizing the cases to far and creating headspace issues. Changing the fireing pin itself in a Remmy is quite straightforward providing you have the little tool to dismantle the bolt.

I am sure someone more qualified will post on this shortly.

A,

Sounds like it need a couple of thou taking off the pin?

It most certainly does not need anything off the pin, nor is it anything to do with head space, both projection and head space were checked initially.

The rounds that this lightweight varmint rifle is made for are all hot small calibre ones, therefore the pressures are all quite high. The Remington primers are quite soft that I use ( although both RWS and CCI have been tried too) and the combination has the potential for cratering. However I have dropped the loads right down to check if it was an over pressure symptom and the situation did not change and even the full loads did not show signs of excessive pressure anyway.

Other causes can be weak firing pin spring or too great a clearance between firing pin and hole in bolt face. Again I have checked the firing pin dia and the hole in the bolt ( which has been replaced ) and it is within spec both times. You can as I have said fit a plug to the bolt and make it a tighter fit on the firing pin ( which is tapered not a parallel shank) but not enough to make a real difference.

I have several custom springs exerting from a little to a great deal more pressure and they make no difference.

It is a combination of things that causes it but although in theory it is wrong to have cratering, I have seen plenty of rifles in different calibres do it from new and never give a problem.

In the case of the LVSF Rem mine has now had many rounds through it and never once split a primer, Remington feel it is correct to spec, and it is a tackdriver on accuracy. I have a friend with a Sako in the same 17rem cal and his does it slightly too and that is also brand new ( made specially for him) and within spec.

So I am not going to spend any further time on it, it is a case of practice not necessarily agreeing with theory and does not present either risk or loss of performance in the rifle, it does demonstrate the difference between custom and mass produced rifles perhaps, but you have to look at the difference in cost.

Redfox

Hope this is allright to post as it was copied from another sight.It is Remingtons e-mail response to a question on primer cratering.

Subject

---------------------------------------------------------------

Primer cratering using factory ammo

Discussion Thread

Response (Marcus) - 05/23/2008 10:59 AM

Dave,

Thank you for your email.

The firing pin holes on our small caliber rifles such as .204 Ruger are beveled and exhibit the cratering in question, regardless of pressure. The firing pin holes are beveled in such a way that the primer cup flows forming the crater in a controlled manner that actually thickens the primer cup in the area of the firing pin strike to reduce the chances of a primer being pierced.

Customer (Dave Waltner) - 05/21/2008 08:27 PM

Hello. I purchased a new Model Seven Predator in .204 Ruger caliber on 14 May 2008. Following a sighting-in session, I noticed severe cratering of the primers on the three different factory ammo cartrige primers I was using. My question is have you had any other queries about this problem in this rifle model. I am very concerned about a potential safety flaw within the bolt: (firing pin much smaller in diameter than the bolt face hole, or an oversize headspace issue) and do not want to experience a blow back situation into my face causing injury ... or worse. I have included pictures which show the heads of the cases and the necks and shoulders. I do not see any flatening of the primers themselves, nor do the necks and shoulders appear to be affected. All rounds fired exhibited

the same primer cratering. It is also noted that the firing pin is not centered in the bolt as evidenced in the photos also. Please advise as to what measures will be taken to resolve this potential safety problem. Thanks.

Dave.

Question Reference #080521-000080

Product Level 1: Firearms

Product Level 2: Centerfire Rifles

Date Created: 05/21/2008 08:27 PM

Last Updated: 05/23/2008 10:59 AM

-------------------------------------------------------------

We hope that this information will be helpful to you. If we

can be of further assistance, please contact us at

1-800-243-9700, M-F, 9am-5pm EST.

Remington Arms Co. -- America's Oldest Gunmaker

870 Remington Drive, Madison, NC 27025

1-800-243-9700 or 1-336-548-8700--FAX: 1-336-548-7801

Visit us in Remington Country at http://www.remington.com/

REMEMBER, FIREARMS SAFETY DEPENDS ON YOU!

Whether you are a beginner or an advanced user,

our new Safety Section is a must for everyone.

http://www.remington.com/safety

-------------------------------------------------------------

[---001:002956:15733---]

So there you have it,The fireing pin holes are designed to let the primers crater.In my opinion,total B.S. ;)

Leave it well alone buddy, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Every remington i,ve ever shot, and its quite a few, does it, in any calibre, its just the way they are. Remingtons tolerances arent,t that tight, for a variety of reasons, one being, that the 700 is probarbly the most used battle , bolt gun there is.Bits of sand stop a tight tolerance pin working in a tight firing pin hole.

The .204 is a hell of a hot cookie, i have one myself.The best primers i have found in a homeload, are remington 7 1/2s or cci br4,s....both are a benchrest primer with correspondingly thicker cups. These help the situation considerably.Its only a problem if the primers are piercing. Seriously, dont worry about it, just get on with shooting and enjoying it.

Archived