Had a dream last night that...

1967spud

i was using a rifle with a normal barrel threaded at one end pretty much like being threaded for a mod. Any way i was dreaming that i was using this gun for different uses and was able to screw a 6" or so in length short barrel on but had a different twist rate to the main barrel so in i was able to slow the twist rate or quicken it in that added section. I said it was a bit James Bond any way woke up early this morning to do chicks etc and completely forgot about it till now which got me thinking to the feasibility. I can see many down sides to the idea but i did wonder if there had ever been any research or mutterings along the same idea.

I know Bartlein do the gain twist which is an old idea revamped but the option to change to final twist to a desired one was what I was wondering.

And before anybody says it I am Spud Bond 0067 license to thrill!!

The "Paradox" shotgun/rifle was a proprietary attempt by the bespoke London gunsmith(s-H&H ?) to have a rifle performance from a shotgun barrel-by rifling the last few inches-very careful regulation was needed.

I'm no gunsmith,but I'd have thought that indexing/timing the rifling to exactly 'fit' in a continuation of the existing rifling would be extremely difficult on any screw on extension barrel-more a recipe for bullets being badly gouged....and for little gain (is the hoped for flexibility to switch to heavier fast twist needed bullets?)

Standard switch barrel of course does it much better,would there be any need to change twist on the hoof?

gbal

• 2 weeks later...

Archived