Neck Sizing & Bullet Seating!

jay666d

Guys, I'm feeling a bit lost at the moment.

I'm re-loading 80Gr A-Max in .223:

When I first started re-loading I used a Lee full length die that punched out the old primer whilst re-sizing/shaping the brass. I also seated my bullets with the seating die from Lee.

I now want to buy some nice new brass, first off I'd like to seat the bullets with a little more precision. After the brass is fire formed I'd like to neck size it instead of full length size. I'm guessing I'd need a separate die to punch out the used primer too!

I'm lost in a world of dies & bushings sold in singles and sets... Is there some this spesific I should be looking out for?

Cheers. Jay

Hi Jay,

Sounds like you are pretty much in the same boat as me... I'm a relatively new reloader and splashed out on new .260 brass and - after reading a number of good reviews, and seeing the price - just bought a Lee collet die set (neck sizer and seating die) now that my brass is fireformed.

I set the neck sizer up slightly differently to the instructions (following the third post here instead: http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?49899-Lee-Collet-Die-Adjustment) and though I have not yet fired a round made using them, I am impressed how easy they were to set up and use. The neck sizer pops the primer out as per your full length die btw.

They already seem and feel more precise than my rcbs standard dies. The seater is giving me far more consistent OAL too. Range test tomorrow..

Would be interested to see if anyone else recommends these.

I now want to buy some nice new brass, first off I'd like to seat the bullets with a little more precision. After the brass is fire formed I'd like to neck size it instead of full length size. I'm guessing I'd need a separate die to punch out the used primer too!

Jay, I'm relatively new to reloading too. I bought a Lee Die set from Hannams. It has four dies, a full length resizer, a neck resizer, a bullet seater and a crimp. The neck resizer which I am now using as I have fire-formed my brass also punches out the used primer, like the full length re-sizer does.

Hi Jay, you can buy a universal decapping die relative cheap. This sorts out one process.

Give the brass a quick clean by your choice.

The next is sizing - you can either full length or neck size purely or use a bump bushing die which allows control over the sizing of the body and the neck.

With a good quality seating die you should have greater consistency in oal

Jay,yes it can get more complex,and indeed has to if you really want to vary bullet seating depth accurately-you'll need to measure that and have a seating die that adjusts depth. That's why eg Redding do such -and cost more.YOu will not be the first to find that basic entry level gear is fine,but limited if you want more finesse.

On the more positive side,you can either full length size your fired brass,or neck size it-the diffenrence is just that neck sizing only works the neck brass,and is fine-preferable even-though eventually you will need a full size run through to get back to spec-but by no means every reload. So you need a neck die-not at all a problem,RCBS etc do them and not very expensive ( a Redding competition adjustable on is,but you do not need that- you would benefit from a Redding competition seater,with micro adjust for the seating depth,but it's not-yet-essential.)

I'd get an RCBS class neck sizing die (you do not need a bushing Redding etc-varying neck size a thou or so is for experienced reloaders/custo rifle etc i pursuit of the Holy Grail-which is always elusive!).

Such a standard neck die will also deprime as it neck sizers,just like the full length sizer,and has a considerable convenient bonus that lubrication of the case isn't needed-or at most a tad on the neck-it's an whole lot gentler/easier than full length.

So easy solution-get a standard 223 neck size die. But also think about where you might go-much of expensive gear reloading brings diminishing returns,though some are real enough-IF you need them-by no means ever shooter does,or would see any benefit without the whole kabboodle,including custom rifle to show it. But it is interesting/absorbing for some afficionados-you just have to pay the admittance price-as in most things.

Look up the Sinclair catalog,on line eg-it has almost all the goodies-just reading it will help,but remember a £150 seater die won't transform an intrinsically half inch factory rifle. BUT get advice-as on this forum-there are some things that get useful,some that are essential,some that feel essential-but really are not.

We all learn that-but balanced advice reduces the mistakes!

gbal

A Forster neck bump bushing die would fit the bill. Around £90 from Hannams. Decaps, and sizes just the neck using swappable bushes.

Take the bush out and it will bump the shoulder back a smidge. These are sold either as a kit with three bushes that'll cover most needs, or without bushes if you know the size that you need.

The bushes are around £14 apiece.........

H/man

Archived