Midges - a discussion on how to keep them away

JohnGalway

Evening folks,

We had intended to stay out for a while shooting last night, but after an hour the midges had us driven home. I also donated a pint or twelve of my own blood to them at work this week. Normally I use that Avon Forest Skin So Soft Fresh stuff. It's worked for me in the past, now it doesn't seem to be doing the job. I think Citroenella oil is the ingredient they don't like? I wonder does it have a "use by" date and is that why this no longer works for me.

We've got a yelllow can of spray stuff for work, must find out it's name and let ye know. Seems to work, not sure what's in it though, sure doesn't taste good anyway.

What I'd like to know is what do you all use to keep midges away? Only interested in stuff that you've used and found to work.

Right then, let's get the show on the road.

John :rolleyes:

Hi Buddy the best stuff on the market is a product that is sold in millits , it is called "expedition bug repelant" it is a small white bottle with its own pump spray on top, dont get it on cuts or in your eyes and let it dry on your hands before you touch your mouth, it tastes like c++p.

Hope its some help

Guest wireviz

The bright yellow container you use at work might be autan if it has a red top .any way shooting in the west of Scotland i have had to cope with the mighty midge :lol:AUTAN IT IS A FOUL TASTING SUBSTANCE ANDHAS A FEW BAD THINGS IN IT BUT IT IS imho the BEST AT KEEPING THE MIDGE AWAY :rolleyes:

Autan works for me too and Deet 100%, but that doesnt do wood stock varnishes any good - so heaven only knows what it does to your system :rolleyes:

Autan works for me too and Deet 100%, but that doesnt do wood stock varnishes any good - so heaven only knows what it does to your system :rolleyes:

who cares as long as they stop eating you alive :blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:

ATB

Colin :D

I also find that a Discovery 300 TDi is an excellent midge repellant - however, I have yet to shoot a deer from within the confines of one :D

just back from loch lomond three days of midge hell eatin alive till we got a bottle of jungle formula extra strenth worked well will agree skin so soft works but make sure you get the right bottle the blue bottledoes nothing

all the best bruxie

i was lucky enough to come across a coulpe of boxes of army surpus tropical insect repellant very cheaply a couple of years back and it is the best iv ever used its made by ULTRATHON and comes in nato green plastic tubes, very handy and small in the pocket dont know whats in it, however i think the ingredients were probably dug from the depths of Chernobyl. But it works!

I have seen the same stuff on Ebay before, definitly worth a look. I stalk ground by skye which is seriosly bad for midges, this is the only stuff ive found that will keep them off you!

The Ultrathon military stuff is only about 35% DEET, but it's got some kind of slow release ingredient that makes it last all day rather than all evaporating at once. Well worth a try IMO, horse flies hate it (which is the main problem around here, big nasty ****ers)

Last hight I noticed ASDA were doing deet impregnated wrist bands! These are being targeted at holiday makers but Im going to try 1 to see if they work!!I usually use skin so soft but during early fowling forays the mozzies are quite bad so Ill see how things unfold!

Can't speak for Scottish midges only the Southern softie midges and Horseflies, but, I've had good protection from them as well as from Tsetse and Mosquitoes with the Boots Insect Repellent Lotion, Tropical (50% DEET in an oily base). This lotion keeps the DEET on the skin for a long time(all day). Similar stuff is used by the US military, I believe. I expect it's similar to the Army Surplus stuff. As you will all appreciate, protection from Mosquitoes which carry Malaria and Tsetse which carry Sleeping Sickness is important on Safari.

DEET(N,N-diethyl-m toluamide) - you really wanted to know that, didn't you - is an organic solvent and will dissolve or damage plastic, paint and gunstock finishes. Allow it to dry before handling that type of equipment. It is deemed safe and there do not appear to be health problems associated with it's use.

There was a discussion on this topic on another Forum some considerable time back which included interesting input from some experts. The jist of the discussion was to use a oily base/lotion/cream with 30-35% DEET on your skin and Permethrin on your clothing. Apparently, much above about 35% DEET the Law of Diminishing Returns applies.

It is said that flies are attracted by the CO2 given off by the skin, additionally, Tsetse are attracted by movement and, some say, pattern/colour.

Nevertheless, I have never been bitten when using this product, any bites have been due to poor application by me. I also spray my clothing with Permethrin because Tsetse can get through clothes. I noticed that insects landing on my clothing were dead or dying in 10 seconds or so if they didn't fly off. I assume midges cannot get through clothing, although horseflies might ??. I use the lotion when stalking in Summer, particularly when in a high seat. I can't remember the last time I was pestered by midges.

I also spray my stalking clothing with Permethrin to repel Ticks which carry Lyme disease. I know it's expensive but it lasts a long time, supposedly at least three washes - and who washes their stalking clothes?.

A further point: these two products, above, are intended for specific purposes. The DEET lotion is for skin only and the Permethrin for clothing only. You can't use one for both applications.

I hope that this may be of help or interest.

Guest wireviz

The only cure i know of for the scottish midge is to send your stalking /varmint rifle to Roedale for rebarreling you will be midge free for two seasons. Kidding aside i was out sat morning everything was ok till the sun broke through the light fog .We had a beast down and gralloching it was a major chore tucker ended up with a red ring round his head and face were his mask didn't cover :lol::rolleyes::lol: I used the kid friendly AUTAN it worked a wee bit but not as good as the deet stuff that poisons you.

Archived