weighing heads

nuttyspaniel

Now I think Im going to get pelters here but sod it!! :D

Ive got my 1st 100 120grn hot cores for my 25-06. Ive weighed each individual head just out of interest. 17 weighed outside my threshold margin +/-1 grn. Ive seperated these heads and once my load is developed I will load these rounds and try them on paper as an experement to see if there is any real difference. :wacko:

Ive also done the same with my brass and have about 8 seperated. For the distances I'll be shooting this probably wont make a great difference but it will be good to see what happens. :lol:

Has anyone else done this and if so what were your results? I will post the result in a week or 2.

Makes little difference at "normal accepted" deer ranges.

If you extend the range you need to weigh heads to retain consistant velocities which = low ES = good accuracy.

Personaly I do not bother with deer loads.

I have tried doing all of these things in the past !!! But to be honest, I think that if you have used good quality reloading components ??? Then it makes little differance???

Now that was my first statement!!!!!!

Now take it a bit further,,,,,, If you sort out your cases and bullet heads??? It is a good, feel good factor ( you know that to the best of your abillity Everything is bob on????)

Now you wil start thinking how good is my press???

Is there any movement in the ram ????

Cases,, are they all the same weight??? Have they all got the same Measurements i.e Neck wall thickness ,, Trim lenth,,, Concentricity (neck run out) Are the primers all being seated to the same depth??? Have all the case been flast hole deberred???

The list goes on and on?????

All these things i get right first or should i say that i like to!!!! Very hard to get everything the same

I do load to benchrest specs,,, Hand held Wilson dies, Arbor press, And all the other prep tools are k&m

I do a little bit of winning now and again!!!

Get a good benchrest book, The one writen by Glen newick is a good one!!!

Be warned, it will do your head in???? And your wallet ;)

All the best Darrel

I have more than one Glen Newick book and enjoy reading them, but they are now over the 20 year age and things have moved on quite a bit since then. The basics are still there and are a good pointer in the right direction, but most of the main relaoding manuals will lead you in the right direction, as Stag says improving your technique and practice are the best ways to accuracy.

Redfox

I knew I would get pelters over this ;)

Improving ones personal performance is more important.

With out a doubt but then confidence is a wonderfull thing. Neither I lack confidence or ability but I still believe I can squeeze more out my rifle. And as I said this is only out of curiosity. I dont think for 1 minute that for hunting it makes a blind bit of difference but it should keep me amuzed for a day or 2!!

Archived