Targets, Reticules & Magnification.

Went out yesterday with a friend to zero our rifles, I supplied the target which was basically a bright yellow day glow type square of 3/4"x1/2" on a white background.

In my scope at 24x it was very easy to see the small target and my fine reticule was able to quarter it, my mates scope however at 18x pretty much obscured the dot and made precise shooting for him much harder. This got me thinking that I often use different targets from these small dots to 1" squares, 2" or 3" shoot n see targets etc.

Im wondering if there is a particular style of target that is preferred for precision shooting that gives the best possible option for repeatable aiming at ranges from 100-300yds? Any links to free downloads etc would be most welcome :)

Al, this is an often neglected fine tune variable in extracting out intrinsic rifle/ammo precision.

The 18x obscuring the aiming dot is a clear enough example-though of course the induced 'error' due to not knowing exactly where the aim point is precisely is quite small,in the grand scheme of things!

OK,it has to be an interaction of scope magnification,reticule type/subtension and target.What do serious accuracy nuts use:

100-300 Bench Rest targets are essentially rings with no centre blacked out bull,and a larger (1 inchish square in fairly heavy black line above).Scopes-36 to 45x-are often small dot,or simple fine cross hair,as prefered.

I used the dot,and made a figure 8 with the bottom of the innermost ring just kissing the top of the dot-the eye being pretty good at lining these in symmetry/tangential touching. Of course the scope is clicked to put point of impact off an inch or so,preferably off sight line,to avoid shooting away your aim point-these rifles do what they are told,well sub 1/4 moa.The top square could be used-though never was-with cross hairs or duplex,centering on bottom corner,and cross hairs aligned with sides-the square might be for aiming in mirage shimmer,poor visibility-not really had to ponder this...Cross hairs tangential is easy too,better than trying to hold centre of a bull without the tangential anchor on one reticule line.

While what one prefers can be a little subjective,the more precise the line up permitted by the magnification/reticule/target,the more precise the shot can be aimed-though it's only in BR that it's likely to be critical.It is though "best practice" to get the most of what your rig offers,though not essential for routine checking;we are getting down to the last 1/10 moa really-though to some,.2 looks a "hole" lot better than .4

While BR obviously want (international) standardisation,It's unlikely they would shoot themselves in the foot (5x5 times,though same hole) by choosing an indifferent target wrt precision. Worth a try.

g

Archived