Building a custom .22LR

So you don't think, based on that the Eley performed best in my CZ452? :blink:

The main reason I only did four shot groups was to quickly find out which ammo performed the best and to make sure the video didn't drag on for too long. I'd be more than happy to put ten shots on paper at 100 yards next time around. I've bought some CCI subs to test next so I may well do just that ;)

IMO you should shoot at least 5 x 5 shot groups to assess a rifles accuracy, 3 shot groups just dont hack it.

One of the reasons many shooters only shoot three groups is because they cant hold it together long enough to put 5 accurately aimed shots onto the target, they also know that a nice 3 shot cluster will be spoiled by an extra two shots so are effectively kidding themselves as to the rifles actual performance.

Ian.

IMO you should shoot at least 5 x 5 shot groups to assess a rifles accuracy, 3 shot groups just dont hack it.

One of the reasons many shooters only shoot three groups is because they cant hold it together long enough to put 5 accurately aimed shots onto the target, they also know that a nice 3 shot cluster will be spoiled by an extra two shots so are effectively kidding themselves as to the rifles actual performance.

Ian.

I hear what you are saying even though the shots in my video were four shot groups, not three. I guess you could say the same principle applies and would agree in most cases but I certainly have nothing to hide. I'll film some ten shots groups when I next get chance and see how I get on. I'm sure you'll agree that for a brief ammo testing session, that was sufficient.

So you don't think, based on that the Eley performed best in my CZ452? :blink:

The main reason I only did four shot groups was to quickly find out which ammo performed the best and to make sure the video didn't drag on for too long. I'd be more than happy to put ten shots on paper at 100 yards next time around. I've bought some CCI subs to test next so I may well do just that ;)

Elliot,yes -of the four brands 'tested',the Eley was the 'best'-ie clearly the more likely to perform well in an extended test.I would not buy any of the others before shooting off the one box,with no great expectations of bettering the Eley.(which has done quite well as a brand for a long time which does no harm).

I can't tell you about film making,but I can about human attention span-and it would have taken about 2/3 minutes to shoot 10-20 more Eley.Probably of more interest than inspecting targets close up that had already been seen on camera? (and were clearly not very good!) Then there would be a clearer answer-Eley were(maybe not) the best in this test,and for 20 more shots....

I'm not getting at you,but it would be a better test to at least shoot more of the better ammo-as you suggest.There may be some who need to see each shot actually fired,but many I suspect will assume all that,impact on target enough,and want to see better test results...

That said,there seem to be a lot of shooters who are cavalier about shot dispersal-so we have the 3 shot once group-which is never equaled again.Subsonics seem especially vulnerable to (genuine'flyers"),and generally poorer consistency-I'd have a lot less concerns about a grouping of 5 tenex from a batch,10 better of course-so it's even more informative to give a larger sample of results with subsonics,at extended range,too.

I did imply that you might reject a brand on a limited but very poor sample,but to decide what to bulk buy really needs more shots-and it isn't,with respect,time consuming to fire a couple of mags of rimfire-and if it were,edit out the process,show more results.

Decent testing though-plea was for more-focussing on the stuff that wasn't eliminated in the first round!

CCI etc by all means-but more of the best too-at least in your rifle-which is what you want to know too-enlightened self interest..!

atb

gbal

How about the Weihrauch HW66 Jagdmatch?

Has any one got one?

I bought one a few months ago in .17hmr, incredibly accurate - beautiful trigger - very well balanced - silky smooth action and the finish is top class.

I think It's one of the most overlooked, under rated rim fires out there.

Since I got mine my Finnfire Varmint (boringly accurate) has been made redundant.

How about the Weihrauch HW66 Jagdmatch?

Has any one got one?

This is the way to go. I had one of these a few years back and it was the most accurate 22lr I have ever had. One hole groups at 50 yards and approaching half moa at 100 yards!. The worst of it is - these groups were shot with Winchester Australia subs!. The only reason I sold it was to buy a walther gsp carbine which isn't far off the weihrauch to be fair. If you have the chance to buy one of these snap it up. I read a review of one a few years back in sporting rifle by someone who was an anschutz man for years and he reckoned he would seriously consider a trade between an anschUtz and the weihrauch. No messing about with re barrels and the likes. These guns are so accurate out of the box.

Archived