Bolt travel on Rem 700

What (how rough/smooth)is the bolt travel on you're Rem 700's like?I had always a mental image of Remmies being quite agricultural but had an enlightening experience tonight.Have been offered a 700Adl in 308 win cheap so I thought that I might as well shoot it first before buying(was only really interested in action for a project)WOW!The bolt travel is the smoothest that I have experienced,beats any Sauer,Tikka,Sako,Rem,Ruger or Howa that I've tried before.This is the proverbial hot knife in butter,much smoother than both my Sako's.The ejector also flings the cases way further than any of my guns.I don't know how old the gun is but it's a wood stocked Adl(metal trigger guard,jewelled bolt,bolt handle is also smooth,no chequering on bolt knob)Only disadvantage is the trigger,probably a 7-8lb pull.From what I've heard this is easily fixable.Even managed to get a couple of shots to touch each other at 100m.Was going to shoot it then make my excuses and get on with my life without a new gun project brewing but this one is too good to say no-ever been there? Regards Toby

My 700's have lovely smooth bolt movements (but they have been "accurised")

Big thing with the Rems and all bolt actions is look at the lugs and see if there are witness marks on both lugs indicating contact with the abutments on the action, so long as both sides show equal - ish contact it should be ok. All other factors still apply though, wear on action, does it look looked after, damage to action screws, etc etc .

The trigger is easily sorted out, by replacement (5 min job) or clean and ajustment of existing unit.

Toby I had the same experience with my VSF, I was expecting it too be rough compared to my little cooper but it is definatley smoother.

Guest sniper#1

just got hold of rem700 sendero sfll stainless synth.7mm mag what a lovely piece of kit.got the new trigger set up its got no creep at all and gun smith has just set trigger to 2lb pull how crisp! like you say the bolt is a peach.

Archived