Zero probs help needed

Hi all,

imjust wondering if anyone out there can help me with a zero/range problem ?

right the issue is ive got a Browning t bolt .17hmr using 17grn v max hornby ammo and sighting in using a Burris ballistic plex E1 3 x 9 x50 scope o 7x mag..... ok the main problem is the ground im allowed to use this on will not let me zero in on ( their ground so no arguement there ) the only ground i can zero is a very small plot and restricts me to 25yd zero.

so ..... with the scope i have how many vert clicks will i need to get a 100yd zero ( scope has 1 x click = 1/4 moa at 100yds on elevation turret )

look forward to any help you can offer

thanks in advance

Kev

Getting the come up in clicks is fine but you'll still need to test in the field to be sure of where the rifle is shooting at 100y, and not just rely on someone else's advice.

Google jbm ballistics and enter your data for a rough idea.

!/2 inch low at 25.Then check at 100.

Gary-seems odd,but there is nothing in it for landowner to have.....? sight in shots/disturbance etc-ie a mini range!

Owner may want vermin control,not a plinking range....I agree that one or two shots won't be discriminable-but a 25 shot marathon might be.

Obviously,that's just one possibility-but I've read of 'load development' cf sessions going on for dozens of rounds/several visits etc. Well,NIMBY is understandable,in some circumstances.

gbal

Two things ,,,,,this permission is "pants" and how did you get a 17hmr signed off in the first place given you would have to have had written authority to shoot over this land and also been inspected and passed for 17hmr use. FAC usually gives permission for zeroing over nominated land.I would think that your relationship with landowner and FLO is in question here?How can you safely shoot this permission with an inadequate zero? Think you need to talk to landowner and FLO to back you up,,,,,,,,,,,,hope you sort it Kev,,,,,O

Getting the come up in clicks is fine but you'll still need to test in the field to be sure of where the rifle is shooting at 100y, and not just rely on someone else's advice.

Thanks Simon , only chance of field test will be on the shot a charlie so bit dubious to but the odd rabbitt wont be to bothered and should keep the landowner happy.

thanks for getting back

Kev

Thanks Simon , only chance of field test will be on the shot a charlie so bit dubious to but the odd rabbitt wont be to bothered and should keep the landowner happy.

thanks for getting back

Kev

they will allow you to shoot over the land-but not allow you to check your p.o.i? why?

They are ok with the shooting / vermin control at night but as ground is criss crossed by footpaths they are not to keen during the day re zero as no way of controlling whos about....... could say the same for night but its their ground and i will abide by their request...

thanks for getting back

Kev

they will allow you to shoot over the land-but not allow you to check your p.o.i? why?

They are ok with the shooting / vermin control at night but as ground is criss crossed by footpaths they are not to keen during the day re zero as no way of control

Two things ,,,,,this permission is "pants" and how did you get a 17hmr signed off in the first place given you would have to have had written authority to shoot over this land and also been inspected and passed for 17hmr use. FAC usually gives permission for zeroing over nominated land.I would think that your relationship with landowner and FLO is in question here?How can you safely shoot this permission with an inadequate zero? Think you need to talk to landowner and FLO to back you up,,,,,,,,,,,,hope you sort it Kev,,,,,O

Relationship is ok with the landowner and FAO its a matter of the footpaths but as the FAO granted fac etc on this ground as you said its worth a chat with them , may have a chance of a small parcel of ground connected with the permission later re zero so just bide my time.

If its criss crossed with footpaths, then where are your safe shooting areas, ie backstops, reason i say this is simple, ive bumped into people walking there dogs at all sorts of hours, people going on or comig off shift or cant sleep...you need back stop regardless of what the owners think.

I would point out the safe back stops out too the owners and convince them its vital that you get your scope zeroed in properly, as without this your not going to know weather you have your required 100yrd zero or if you have cross over on your scope, you also need to check groups, or how will know when your rifle is off, which is very dangerous, if you dont know and your gun is shooting 3" groups at 100yds because its gone off its poa

Tell them as a safty minded and responaceable shooter it is your duty, say its a must that you at least put 5 rounds down it at a 100yds too zero, and one round everytime you visit.

you could even zero in the dark under a lamp, i had to zero my 20tac in the dark for the same reasons, people tresspassing over my permission constantly, i was always having agro from know it all's, i just got the police involved every time...............i hope you get too check your rifle properly.

Also that you move up to a centre fire rifle, for those foxes, personnal opinion on that............

atb

Tony

Kev,,,,,doh!!,,,,,all this quite frankly worries me,,,sorry but I would not be on this permission with any "rimfire",,,,,,perhaps an air rifle/possible FAC rated to take some longer bunnies,,,,,,the footpath thing has nailed it for me I,m afraid but I really do wish you some safe shooting,,,,,,O

Hi,

Can you fill in some of your profile, please ?!?

It will makes us slightly more comfortable : )

What police force are you under ? Is it the same force as the land ?

Was any restrictions given to you ( about the land ) ?

Did you get it passed ? Or are you going on the land owner ?

Personally ... I would never shoot at quarry, without knowing how my rifle is shooting ...

I always put up a zero target on my permissions, to check, before I go out / waste my night ..

Do you lamp ? Or use NV ?

Either way... With footpaths about you should use a NV spotter .. So you know what's around you & not muzzle sweeping anything your not prepared to kill .

Cheers

If its criss crossed with footpaths, then where are your safe shooting areas, ie backstops, reason i say this is simple, ive bumped into people walking there dogs at all sorts of hours, people going on or comig off shift or cant sleep...you need back stop regardless of what the owners think.

I would point out the safe back stops out too the owners and convince them its vital that you get your scope zeroed in properly, as without this your not going to know weather you have your required 100yrd zero or if you have cross over on your scope, you also need to check groups, or how will know when your rifle is off, which is very dangerous, if you dont know and your gun is shooting 3" groups at 100yds because its gone off its poa

Tell them as a safty minded and responaceable shooter it is your duty, say its a must that you at least put 5 rounds down it at a 100yds too zero, and one round everytime you visit.

you could even zero in the dark under a lamp, i had to zero my 20tac in the dark for the same reasons, people tresspassing over my permission constantly, i was always having agro from know it all's, i just got the police involved every time...............i hope you get too check your rifle properly.

Also that you move up to a centre fire rifle, for those foxes, personnal opinion on that............

atb

Tony

Hi Tony, ive found a way of getting areas that i consider risky to shot over by way going around and fixing old cd,s / computer discs to posts etc along the iffy area as they reflect well during the day and at night so i know my dodgy areas that are no shoot zones, re backstops etc all sorted but take your point and will be speaking to landowner.

Im lucky as you said re people around at all times as i use a TI to scan the areas i shoot before using my yukon / photon scope with nightmaster 800 covert ir.

Thinking of going for a .243 as would be easier to put in for if i go along the fox contol route , there are deer around the area and i used to cull /control them back in the day and Thames Valley where good re variations etc but Devon and Cornwall are a fair bit more contolling.

thanks for your advice etc.

Kev

atb

Tony

Kev,,,,,doh!!,,,,,all this quite frankly worries me,,,sorry but I would not be on this permission with any "rimfire",,,,,,perhaps an air rifle/possible FAC rated to take some longer bunnies,,,,,,the footpath thing has nailed it for me I,m afraid but I really do wish you some safe shooting,,,,,,O

Thanks for your input, im sure will get there in time and get all these issues resolved.

Kev

atb

Tony

Hi,

Can you fill in some of your profile, please ?!?

It will makes us slightly more comfortable : )

What police force are you under ? Is it the same force as the land ?

Was any restrictions given to you ( about the land ) ?

Did you get it passed ? Or are you going on the land owner ?

Personally ... I would never shoot at quarry, without knowing how my rifle is shooting ...

I always put up a zero target on my permissions, to check, before I go out / waste my night ..

Do you lamp ? Or use NV ?

Either way... With footpaths about you should use a NV spotter .. So you know what's around you & not muzzle sweeping anything your not prepared to kill .

Cheers

Hi treetop, have started on profile update re question....

police force is Devon & Cornwall.

restriction on part of the land is max .22 lr other areas .17hmr and heres the cruncher Centrefire on other part of land !

is new ground to me and im lucky as im the only FAC holder to shoot the ground so hence not wanting to rock the boat.

Police passed ground.

Lamp and NV ground but use TI to check ground before and during shooting .

Re zero i will be having a freindly chat with the landowner and explain how important it is .

thanks for your input and taking the time to respond.

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Kev - best of luck, I am an hour up the road with bench and 300m range.

Come on over if you want to get some meaningful data in a safe environment.

Impressed at your restraint when answering some of the comments above - I may not have been so agreeable!

Rgds

Ian :)

Archived