Schmidt & Bender V's Nightforce???

Rite lads im a huge fan of S&B's nowever im somhow getting pulled towards a nightforce mainly because of the 34mm tube any mounting problems with them on the PMII's, which is fine if you have a picatinny/weaver rail but as both my rifles are tikka's my PMII on my 308 is sitting far to high over the barrel due to the picatinny rail screwed ontop of the action along with the inherently "high" 34mm mounting systems available.

Am i right in thinking that S&B braught out the PMI series which had a 30mm tube or was i dreaming it?

If i do have to reluctantly change scope makes i was thinking about the nightforce 5.5-22X56! anyone got anythin to mention about them, as they look badass (i still think S&B's will take alot of beating however, apart from the price!!)

Shrek ,

I have a nightforce 5.5-22x56 and really like it apart from the weight . I also have two S&B both 3-12x50, a standard which I picked up 2nd hand and a Zenith flash dot which I bought last year. I think form a clarity and brightness point of view the S&B have the edge over the nightforce. If I was purchasing a big scope I'd be looking at the S&B 5.5-25x56.

Dave

I've a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 with the NP-R2 reticle. I love it, no need to say more really. I haven't had the oppertunity to compare it in the field against top of the line S&B's. I have looked through the best of the top scope out the back of a gunshop, quite a long view but to me that doesn't mean a lot, I want to see it on a rifle at different times of day. Mostly because I'm fussy...

I purchased a Nightforce NXS 5-22x56 about a month ago &

I haven’t stopped smiling :P It has the NP2DD ret just about the best

I have ever used, it makes the TDS4 in my Swarovski seem crude.

Lovely scope I don’t think you will regret buying one. If you are passing

By Penrith you are welcome to pop in & take a peek through mine.

DSC01353.jpg

DSC01352.jpg

DSC01356.jpg

You have to ask yourself if the S&B is worth 25% more than the NSX ?. Is it a 25% better scope?, no I dont think so.

The S&B is a lovelly scope for sure and was my first choice but availabilty meant I settled on NSX. I think I will be happy with it once I get it fitted.

A

+1 on the NSX 5.5-22x56 with the NP-2DD ret, it is a superb ret for long range varminting.

Also when the light begins to fade it knocks spots of any Leupold for light gathering properties and the illuminated ret is spot on. I'm very happy with mine.

Cheers

Dave

I,ve two nxs,s and the big schmidt.The schmidt is the better scope.It has better lenses, and i love the huge, double turn turret.It doesn,t work any better than the nxs,s however, which are bomb proof themselves. If its brightness you are after, have a look at the big 72mil zeiss....it pisses allover the schmidt. :P But its two grand.

Cheers for the advice and comments guys the main reason as i mentioned earlier for asking about the scopes was the mounting problems im having with the 34mm tube on my PMII, so i think a nighforce may be the way forward!

All the scope manufacturers are gradually going to the 34mm tube for very good technical reasons.

Tikka make the right bases and rings for the scope you have,which is only 1.5mm up from the top of the mounting base. The nightforce is a good scope but not in the same league as the S&B particularly on lenses.

Redfox

post-8-1211240118_thumb.jpg

post-8-1211240136_thumb.jpg

Shrek

have you tried Badger rings?

They are lower than most "high" 34mm rings and are made specifically for PM11 and picatinny rail?

Thanks ot Vermincinerator I have just had a set of Badger 50s from Midway UK but they are generally in short supply. Talk about brick outhouse, they weigh 11 ozs.

Almost every scope I have tried has beaten Luepold in the dark but in half decent light are fine, they do hold together and stand the test of time and have an excellent warrenty package. I hope to have a look through a Ziess 72mm shortly as a friend want's one for his fox rifle to replace a 12x42 NSX.

A lot of companies in my industry are presently increasing prices of European sourced parts by around 11% to compensate for the pounds recent decline against the Euro, I expect that this is the main reason for the S&B increase in which case Ziess will also rise but a weak dollar may mean that NF are not moved.

A

After a long thought today whilst i was putting up a cattle crush, iv just spent the last 2 hours on the mill getting a lump of steel ready to try and build my own custom mounts for the 34mm PMII...... If this venture is sucessful i wil then indever to construct another pair for my BR and then try and source another PMII in the not too distant future. If the mounts are sucessful then i can hopefully justify to myself that a PMII is ok to buy as i dont have to fork out another 150quid for a set of mounts!!! :rolleyes:

Dont like the wording "home made" sounds so crude Custom thats more my style haha, its gonna be alot of work and my lathe with the 4 jaw chuck needs a new baering in the main drive so it wont be happening till thats done anyway!

Archived