What barrel next? .300 RUM with LM bullets or .338 Edge

Guest Tiff

Guest Tiff

I'm really enjoying my 300 RUM Dasherman (Neil) made for me with its 30" barrel throwing the 240's (B.C. 0.710) out at 3,000 fps. The rifle has set some good 11"-14" groups at 1,300 yards so far.

However I want more!!!

This current combination stays supersonic to around the mile mark but beyond 1,400 the wind starts to cause problems.

I've been considering a barrel block for my Remington so I could stretch to a 40" barrel. So should I go for a .338 Edge (.300 RUM necked up to .338) that has the same ballistics as the Lapua with the 300grainers (B.C. 0.800) OR should I get a tight twist 1-6.5" barrel for Lutz's 195 grain bronze bullets that have a massive 1.050BC and could be pushed at 3,350fps beating the 50 cals by a mile in terms of ballistics! The only downside with he LM bullets is they are expensive at £1 each and the barrel could not be used to shoot anything else accurately....

Any advice much apreciated. Cheers Tiff

Hi Tiff this is a Varminting site mate???I too like long range but hell where are we going here me boy???Regards anyway and by the way your old swede is now a 6.5/47,love lots and is your range open yet,love to come,cheers and best wishes Onehole.

Tiff

even with an Edge, you will struggle to get the LM105's to get beyond 2800 - 3000 fps.

Ive been plotting building a rifle around these bullets for nearly a year and am having a reamer done now based on a blown 338LM for the very purpose.

The whole point of the LM105's is the excellent BC so you dont need to drive them above 2900 to be lazer like in tragectory.

For me, I would go for a large action (not the Rem 700) I think your asking a bit much of it, why not try and RPA, Surgen XL or single shot from BAT as a starter for 10?

My own is a Surgeon XL by the way :wacko:

Why complain about £1 a head when you spend so much on the rifle

I am also a long time customer of Lutz

I am sure he will be so disappointed to hear about you saying that..............

1300 yards ............

If you are such a good shot why dont you come down to Diggle and show the UK F Class league what you can you and they cannot......................

Guest Tiff

Onehole, this is my current varmint/deer rig.........interesting to here you put a new stick on my old gun. As for my range it fell through due to legal problems with insurance and also neighbours and noise etc :-( I can still shot to 1,300ish but there can't be a group of us shooting.

Ronin I think you misread my piece I aim to shoot the .30Cal LM series bullets in the RUM and these have a similar B.C. to the .338LM but can be pushed 300-400fps faster. The downside is the reduced barrel life due to the bore to case ratio but should still be near 800 rounds. I would love to use a custom action but unfortunately being a student money is a little scarce so I aim to use a barrel block system to support the whole barrel and action. Plus I don't mind carrying a 30lbs+ rig in the field so the block system can be quite large.

LondonHunter I would really like to shoot at diggle etc in the F-Class league but again money prevents me. I was joint Devon & Cornwall F-Class champion for nearly 3 years running so would relish at a chance at the national stage. The only Semi F-Class national shoot I've done is the Phoenix last year in which I came 15th and 16th at the short and long range respectively. One day after my time in the forces I might compete nationally.

More power to your elbow mate. If we listened to the doom sayer,s we would all still be shooting .308,s and wondering why they went "plop " at 1200 yards.

Last years "f" class league was won with a .30-338 [dennis groom] hardly a pussy faggot bitch gun .

No such thing as "too much gun" :wacko: hellyea!

wish i could get permission to hold the big calibers you guys are on about however my FLO laughs at me once i go past .308 or 30-06, "it'll kill anythin in this country my boy so you dont need anythin bigger" is the usual excuse.

How i long to have 300 win mag or .338 typed on my ticket, but it aint gonna happen! You guys keep at it while you can! get bigger calibers to make up for what som of us cant get! haha

Shrek, join a good range thats certified properly, and you can have anything the range allows, or is certificated for.

Tiff

I understand now re the 30 cal bullets and what you are trying to achieve - the wind is a problem in any calibre out at these distances....

Barrel block on a 700?

Well by the time you have paid your gunsmith to fabricate the block and paid for a 40 inch tube - which I rekon would be around the 500 GBP mark from any maker (and there are only a few who will do this length) you will still have paid a similar amount using the 700 as you would for a custom action - possibly more - for what you are trying to achieve, you may be better to look to a rail type design shooting off a heavy, stable bench?

Also the strain on the action supporting the long barrel (even with the block) may require sleeving the action to increase rigidity - again extra expense.

All the time the barrel is held on to the action by a short and relatively small diameter thread......mmmm

Not saying it cannot be done, but I think the cost will overtake that of using a custom action with no extra benefit.

wish i could get permission to hold the big calibers you guys are on about however my FLO laughs at me once i go past .308 or 30-06, "it'll kill anythin in this country my boy so you dont need anythin bigger" is the usual excuse.

How i long to have 300 win mag or .338 typed on my ticket, but it aint gonna happen! You guys keep at it while you can! get bigger calibers to make up for what som of us cant get! haha

Diggle is maybe two hour drive from you, join and get there a few times a year (or join the FCSA who use Warcop etc), the world is then your oyster :wacko:

Guest Tiff

Shrek I agree with Ronin join Diggle or the FCSA like me and you can have anything upto a 50Cal (unlikely to get for deer mind.....) :wacko:

Ronin I know what your saying re the tenon thread etc......However if the barrel block is large enough and supports the whole action and barrel like this one http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek075.html would it not reduce the stress on the action to minimal levels, since only the barrel block is fixed to the stock? Or am I badly missing something? Cheers Tiff

N.B. Don't want to go down the rail gun route since sennybridge doesn't have too many accommodating concrete benches......

Tiff

I am sure that this sort of system would relieve the stress on the tenon, the only downside is extra cost in fabrication and machining - something you have to weigh up yourself to see if viable.

End of the day, you do what you want - sod what everyone else thinks!

Its a 2 hour drive for me to get to penrith! so it'll be 4 to 4 and a half hours 2 get to diggle from my place an with the price of fuel and time i dont know if id even make it there 4 time a year! however good plan, me and ratwhiskers were takin an we would love to get down somtime an try mcqueens somtime as it sounds fantastic fun. how do i go about joining, is there a probation period etc etc?? however still think my FLO would raise an eyebrow an anything bigger than 30 cal

Archived