Swarowski, or Zeiss or . . .

David Hancock

Nightforce.

I had a Nightforce NXS 5.5 - 22 x 50 NPR2 and loved it - though rarely used above 16 mag daytime / 8 for lamping

I'm now thinking I want a Swarovski (Z6 3 - 18 x 50 P) or a Zeiss (Victory Diavari 4 - 16 x 50) - however I struggle with the limited choice of reticles.

- I would like more than 12 mag (?)

- I like mildot or Boone & Crockett type reticles

- It's to go on a .223 for day / night shooting

- Ranges 100 - 350 yards

With respect to other very good brands out there, I know what I which I would prefer.

The forthcoming Shooting Show will be good to narrow the choice but options welcomed please.

Top end European scopes seem to be steering away from multi aim point reticles towards more easily adjustable turrets. I have a Leica Magnus on the way and I will be running it alongside Swarovski Z6 and Zeiss hardware but I too have requested the ballistic turret to do a more like for like comparison of functionality. leica are offering a few interesting reticles though. You really need to llok and decide yourself as only you know what compromises you are happy with on a non illuminated reticle at daylight v darkness/lamping and the Z6 is incredibly fine yet 'saved' by using the illumination after dark to allow you to find the reticle. The Zeiss 60 is my current preference all round but i still want it illuminated very faintly in low light but it all comes back to you wanting a multi loint reticle and the swarovski and leica may win over there but not always on the top end models.

I like this BR reticle - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12296998/Reticles/260%20Rem%20129%20SP%20N160%20-%20Swarovski.pdf I don't like to adjust my scope when I'm stalking, apart from zooming in on occasion. Normally I stalk with the Z6 set on ~7 times.

I like the look of the BRX reticle.

Regards

JCS

I got a press release from S&B today announcing they have launched a new model with tested 96% light transmission which is 'mathematically' so far the highest of the breed with the current Zeiss HT promising 95 and the V8 92%..............read into that what you will

I've heard that the Nightforce ACTAR has stunning new glass and has far better light transition than earlier Nightforce scopes, with the shooting show just around the corner hopefully S&B will have the new scope on show.

Archived