Advice please on what spec / where best to purchase a Kestrel wind meter. Many thanks.

I got mine from

http://www.r-p-r.co.uk/kestrel/k4500appliedballistics.htm

I found that the version with applied ballistics included worked out cheaper than the standard version

Now have mine with the wind vane and have it connected to my tablet via Bluetooth for full ballistics solution

David,if you want to optimise your chances of hitting a sub half moa target beyond 700yards first shot every time (you won't but read on),then the advanced Kestrels may help-at a price,and perhaps as important will help you feel you have done what £ allows.

The contribution to precision is real,but small compared to vagaries of wind.(Barrels and bullets are another matter,too).

But it's available-with a clinical regard for accurate data input-and a ballistic system (££) to compute it all.

If you just want to know what the wind speed is at the muzzle,they all do that about equally,more like for £80 than £500.(I can look up the fixed altitude of ranges,and have a £2 thermometer,seems about enough hi tech usually.)

I got my basic Kestrel for just that,ebay £30. I don't feel handicapped for gongs to 750y,or at least by the ambient atmospherics.

Very few can shoot 1/4 moa at long ranges anyhow(and hit first shot). I'd far rather have a good rest (Seb /Farley joystick) but some can have it all.

But why not,if you have all the other big effect items. :-)

gbal

Actually,if there were a "kestrel' that could give a wind only shooting solution,for the actual bullet path from muzzle to target(remember it's on a trajectory ),computing all the actual nuances of the locale,then £500 would be an investment.

Then I could start saving for a scope with precision engineered 1/ 20th moa clicks,(heck-the turret is sometimes going to be a windbreak in itself!) so that I could meet the final technical challenge of the very small adjustments still needed for subtle nuances in atmospherics the £500 kestrel could provide.

Gents, thanks for the replies. Gbal in particular. I was seeking to enhance my wind reading at muzzle - slightly more scientifically than licking my finger! - then apply a corresponding reading to 3/400 yards through flags. I had checked out RPR and £100 tops will sort me out. I appreciate I could go for the Horus version, but I like to keep my shooting simple.

Archived