Chamfer

nemasis243

Was asked a question yesterday by someone who is justing reloading, "HOW MUCH CHAMFER DO I PUT ON A CASE WHEN PREPPING"?

Is there a set rule for this ;)

I use as little as possible: Just enough to break the edge of the burr raised by trimming. I get away with this because I lightly bell the case mouth of all the rounds I load so the bullet always seats evenly. This is a technique that hasn't made it across the Pond yet, I think. ~Andrew

We do do that Andrew, but only on lead bullets, .44, .357, 45-70 etc.

I use a vld angle chamfer tool on all my cases personally.

I used one but didn't like the thinning of the brass so I switched to the taper tool. I always use a neck expander for the cartridges you mentioned, as well as any that shoot lead bullets, but the use of the neck expander with jacketed loads is very slick indeed. ~Andrew

Don't shoot all the dogs??? That goes against my nature, I'm afraid! I at least have to shoot AT them! Prairiedog season is cranking in South Dakota, Andy. My brother tells me he is sitting 35 prairiedog hunters each morning for breakfast at his lodge. ~Andrew

just a very light chamfer inside and out followed up by a polish with fine grade wire wool on a mop attached to a slow drill or lathe mounted wire wool holder,thats what i do anyway and works fine.Heads just slide in easy,no stress or marking of bullet jacket at all.Onehole.

Andy, I could just do with a trip out to Ray's place ;)

John

Your room is ready whenever you are. Bring the sunscreen; don't want the hide burning off of you like last time. ;) ~Andrew

PS: Found your Ruger under the bed where you left it....

Archived